Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Hey all,

I'm about to sell my 2008 20" iMac to get a new 2011 version. However, I'm still torn between the 21,5-inch version and the 27-inch version. As a consequence, I'd like to know what helped you make up your mind when you bought your first 27-inch screen.

What kind of activities do you enjoy more on such a big screen ?

For instance, I don't see how a 27-inch would be more convenient for internet browsing, MS Office work or things like that. However, it might be helpful for Aperture or CS5 ?

I'm an amateur photographer, and I only used to work on iPhoto because my last computer couldn't handle Aperture. However, I have to convince myself that I will really benefit from the 27-inch screen as it will cost me 500 euros or so more than the 21,5 base model.

I'd love your feedback on the screen size choice.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
One of the reason exactly was my photoprocessing too. I use Bibble Pro for my Canon DSLR. This gives enough screen space for detail work and browser; and also side-by-side comparisons. And I also enjoy some bigger Excel sheets; lots of columns.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Panel quality.

Base is E-IPS. 27" is H-IPS.

I've owned both sizes and always found the 21" to be very warm in terms of colour in comparison to the 27".

That, and I could only get a 6970 in the 27".

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I found the screen too big for casual use such as browsing the web, gaming, and creating an MS Word document.

Though the screen is great to put two full size webpages side by side, in reality it is just too much real estate. I found myself browsing one website at a time and didn't even maximize the height of the window because I would have to look too high up and down. So I basically did my own version of a letterbox.

Because the resolution is so high, you have to sit up close to read the font on a website. But because the screen is so massive, I found myself having to lean back when it came to watching movies and games so I can take the entire picture in.

For someone that needs the real estate, it seems awesome. But for my purposes, I just need a 24" screen at 1080p so I returned my 27" iMac and now have a MacBook Air hooked up to an external monitor.

Ganksta1

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Dont understand how you can say its to much screen realestate. In Safari you can adjust the size of everything to make any website fill out the whole screen. The only things to consider are price and the actual physical size of the 27" imo.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I bought the 21.5" due to limited size of desk. After getting the 21.5" and fitting it on my desk, I discovered their was enough room for the 27". Should have bought the 27" instead. Next time, I will go larger size. Although to me, the 24" size would be a perfect size screen for my eyes.

Regarding sizing... Do remember that its physical size (corner to corner) may be 27" but when looking at a session window, it can be 1/2, 3/4 or or ??? size. In other words, the session window (just like within a Windows 7 computer) it doesn't need to be max screen size by default. After opening an OSX session, simply select the lower right session corner and re-size it. Once re-sized, thats its default size - for next time the sesssion opens again. Something I learned on my 21.5" iMac as well....

For me, 27" iMac would be perfect watching movies and photos. Especially when sitting on the sofa - that's on the far size of the room.

Hope this helps in your selection decision....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To be honest, I don't use the entire 27' screen for surfing either (closer to 2/3 to 3/4 of the screen). However, it is great for when you need to work with multiple documents, or want multiple windows open.

For instance, I can open a huge excel file and be able to view most if not all of its contents on the screen at the same time, at a decent font size as well. At work, I would be forced to keep scrolling left and right to get the info I need or work with microscopic font.

Also, when working with documents, I can have 2 word files (or 1 browser and 1 word document) opened side by side for easy reference, or view multiple pages at the same time, so I don't need to keep scrolling or alt-tabbing.

The huge screen is also a plus when watching videos on youtube. I watch SC2 replays at 1080 res at full-screen, and it is just like watching it on a TV. Or I can be surfing the net, and have a video clip running at the corner, and view both simultaneously.

All these may seem like minor benefits, but when I experience these benefits almost every day, it quickly adds up to quite the improved user experience overall. So for me, it is really about the convenience of being able to either have 1 giant screen, or 2 smaller screens side by side as and when I desire. :)

The only drawback I can think of is that the high resolution of the screen can initially cause some strain on your eyes. Expect 1-2 weeks of tired eyes while they slowly adjust to the 27' screen. After that period, you will be enjoying it without any issues. :p

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
So I could brag about it :p

Nah, I chose the 27" for a number of reasons. While I don't use my iMac professionally I was in a fortunate enough position to be able to afford the 27".

-One of the main reasons I went for the 27" was because I do a lot of 3D modelling and when I'm modelling I'm using 4 views simultaneously. For those 4 viewports to be near 720p each is fantastic. The more I can see the faster I can work.

-I also use PS on a fairly regular basis but more importantly I spent most of my time zoomed quite close up on reasonably large images so again the more I can see at once the faster I get things done.

The same thing applies for a number of other programs too, but I won't go into detail.

-I'm a very heavy internet user, and thus having 1440px of vertical space while also being able to have 2 full-size browser windows open at the same time was something I was quite excited about. No more having to flick between tabs to compare information, both sites are there full-size ready to compare.

-The last big reason I went for the 27" was because my iMac is also my media center. I don't watch TV and I don't feel the need for a huge 50" display to watch movies or shows, so even if I disregarded all my previous points it made financial sense to get the 27" over a 21.5"+TV. I find the 27" to be a great size for watching media from bed :)

EDIT: Oh, and I couldn't get the 3.4Ghz i7 and 6970 with the 21.5":rolleyes:

Last edited:

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Thanks, that helps.

I realize that 21,5 is a better size for my needs. Even though I like to do some photo editing from time to time, I use my computer mostly for mail, internet, and ilife.

I also prefer to display photos and watch videos on my HDTV which has a larger screen, either with apple tv or with a VGA cable. The computer is the heart of the system, but the screen real estate is not the most important on my desk.

Instead of buying a 27-inch, I'll buy the 21,5inch model and add an ipad for portability around the house. If I go to the base model with a 500 GB HDD, I'll also have to store my master photos on an external harddrive, but that should work fine with aperture I think.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Because I'm already used to the Samsung LCD 25.5" and don't want to go to a lower screen size, which will be smaller and no room to do stuff with.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That resolution is damn impressive. That 20" is a 1080p screen, which while being a good resolution, it's pretty standard in the industry. Few panels have the resolution of the 27"

(Full disclosure, I don't have a 27" iMac, but I do have a 27" Thunderbolt display)

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
For instance, I don't see how a 27-inch would be more convenient for internet browsing, MS Office work or things like that. However, it might be helpful for Aperture or CS5 ?

If you tend to put your windows full screen, the 27" might not be a big deal for those sort of apps.

I tend to have lots of windows open side-by-side -- I'll have mail, multiple safari windows, and say numbers all open in visible windows, probably with other stuff buried underneath. In this work model, there's never enough pixels, and sometime hooks up a second head as well.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
The only drawback I can think of is that the high resolution of the screen can initially cause some strain on your eyes. Expect 1-2 weeks of tired eyes while they slowly adjust to the 27' screen. After that period, you will be enjoying it without any issues. :p

I'm struggling with this right now. I just set up the Mac yesterday and I'm finding it extremely difficult to read the text on the screen without moving the system closer to me, which then hurts my eyes due to the brightness. I then have to turn the brightness down on the monitor, which is a decent fix... but it makes the colors less sharp. I've (somewhat) fixed the issue by setting the default font in Safari to "Never use font sizes smaller than 14," but that doesn't help with the general system menus, widgets etc. I'm finding that OSX really wasn't designed for such a high resolution.

I was always a big proponent of resolution upgrades, I remember switching from 800x600 to 1024x768 and having everyone tell me the text was too small. I laughed then, but I'm thinking this upgrade might just be too much. I have an HDTV that I watch my movies/TV on, the iMac is literally just a "computer" for me. I don't use PhotoShop or do 3D modeling so I don't really need the extra pixels. The left and right side of my screen are pretty much empty at all times.

I'm torn on what to do... I'd really like to return this system and go with the 21.5" (my wife has one and it's the perfect size/resolution), but I went with the 27" for the hardware. I like having the i7 and Radeon 6970. I do play games. Ugh, this situation makes me so upset.

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
I'm struggling with this right now. I just set up the Mac yesterday and I'm finding it extremely difficult to read the text on the screen without moving the system closer to me, which then hurts my eyes due to the brightness. I then have to turn the brightness down on the monitor, which is a decent fix... but it makes the colors less sharp. I've (somewhat) fixed the issue by setting the default font in Safari to "Never use font sizes smaller than 14," but that doesn't help with the general system menus, widgets etc. I'm finding that OSX really wasn't designed for such a high resolution.

I was always a big proponent of resolution upgrades, I remember switching from 800x600 to 1024x768 and having everyone tell me the text was too small. I laughed then, but I'm thinking this upgrade might just be too much. I have an HDTV that I watch my movies/TV on, the iMac is literally just a "computer" for me. I don't use PhotoShop or do 3D modeling so I don't really need the extra pixels. The left and right side of my screen are pretty much empty at all times.

I'm torn on what to do... I'd really like to return this system and go with the 21.5" (my wife has one and it's the perfect size/resolution), but I went with the 27" for the hardware. I like having the i7 and Radeon 6970. I do play games. Ugh, this situation makes me so upset.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, and since I don't even play games on my Mac, 21.5 is definitely the right size for me.

To get the best value, I'm thinking base-model + external HD for master photo library.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I went from having a pc with dual 24's, to a 27 iMac and it's perfect

I don't think I would be able to go down to a 21 inch

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

My advice is to simply not to rush it.

Trust me, I experienced all those issues you mentioned. Just relax and slowly get used to it. Don't bother with trying to adjust the brightness (for browser, use the command+ function to adjust the page size accordingly). Eventually, you will even be able to read the small address bar with ease. Maintain your distance from the screen and don't try to squint. When your eyes get tired, simply get off the comp and get a rest (or perhaps even call it a day).

It's well worth the inconvenience early on, IMO. Now, I can look at the screen all day with no problems at all. :)

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I upgraded from a 24" and couldn't be happier with the 27". For photo and video work the extra real-estate comes in handy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Most of Apple's pro-apps can use up al the screen space yu have. The two I use a Aperture and Logic. Logic especially can have many controls.

If yuo do any kind of software or web development you are likely to have many text editor windows open and all the documentation is on-line so you'll need at least a couple brower windows open too.

I think the divide is between those who create "content" and consumers. The creators tend to need more windows open, but you only need one window to view the final video.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
As one or two others have said I think the 27" is OTT and a waste of money for the ordinary user. I bought one and returned it, I found the fonts too small due to the high resolution and yet when sitting up close it gave me headache. I should have listened to the Genius salesperson who advised me not to buy one. I now have the 21.5" which is much better suited to my situation.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Its a big purchase. You may aswell not regret anything. And i know i would regret buying the smaller screen. It's all preference though.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
My advice is to simply not to rush it.

Trust me, I experienced all those issues you mentioned. Just relax and slowly get used to it. Don't bother with trying to adjust the brightness (for browser, use the command+ function to adjust the page size accordingly). Eventually, you will even be able to read the small address bar with ease. Maintain your distance from the screen and don't try to squint. When your eyes get tired, simply get off the comp and get a rest (or perhaps even call it a day).

It's well worth the inconvenience early on, IMO. Now, I can look at the screen all day with no problems at all. :)

Yeah, I think I just got over it. I just realized that I can run the Twitter app on the left side of the screen and always be able to view it no matter what I'm doing. 27" validated. O_O

I think part of the problem is that I'm used to the way Windows does fonts. I've been running Windows for the past 20 years, this is my first Mac ever. I've barely even used them before. It's pretty different to look at. I'm already starting to get used to it though. Reading the small words just fine from a good arm's length distance. Very comfortable.

Definitely keeping the 27".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.