What mail application do you guys use and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayem1234, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jayem1234, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

jayem1234 macrumors regular

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'd like to see what people are using currently. I've been using Airmail for a few weeks now but I'm not a big fan of the interface so I'm thinking about switching to something else.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use the native Mac Mail...because it's there, and being a simple person it meets my simple needs.

3. dspsbl macrumors newbie

4. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Another vote for mail. With Smart Inboxes and support of different services, it does the trick for me, however I do see why people switch to more comprehensive solutions such as Outlook.

5. dazey macrumors 6502

Thunderbird, free and i find it better than mail

6. 960design macrumors 68000

native Mail app that comes with the mac/iPad/, native mail app that comes with ubuntu

7. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

On Mac: Mail.app
    On office PC with Ubuntu: Thunderbird

I like the interface of thunderbird and the simple and quick functions it offers without much hassle. The message filters are also useful to keep spam away.

8. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I use Mail because it's good enough for my needs, but I do like Thunderbird better.

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I use Thunderbird, and the Lightning calendar plug in is super useful for my job, for setting alarms. I like Thunderbird more than anything.

On iOS I use Mail and Gmail.

10. Spacial macrumors 6502

I have used Thunderbird for a long time. It's fast reliable and much better than Apples simple mail app. Nothing wrong with Apple mail, it just doesn't meet my needs.

11. bastisk8 macrumors newbie

Airmail

I am using Airmail and it is awesome. It is frequently updated with new features, looks a lot like sparrow and is fun to use.
    For the price, it think its a no brainer.

12. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I use Postbox on both my PC's and Macs. I use it because I've been using it for a while and I have no issues with it. Plus, I like the plug-ins I use. It just does what I like.

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I use Mac Mail because it comes with my iMac and it works for my requirements. I also use Roundcube because it allows me to access it from any computer.

14. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I tried Outlook when I switched from Windows but found it too different from the Windows version. Apple Mail works fine for me and is consistent among my Mac and iDevices. My needs were simple - server based rules to sort my mail into different mailboxes, ability to move mail from server to local, and tight integration with OS and other apps. Mail met all those.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I use Apple Mail because it is included with ML 10.8 I don't feel like downloading 3rd party mail app to waste rMBP's 256GB SSD. :apple:

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I flip-flop around every so often. For a long while I was using the web browser version of Gmail for my primary account. I used Mozilla Thunderbird for my MacRumors account and then I used Mail.app for my .mac account.

Google Chrome has been bugging me lately with scrolling issues and a weird log in (to Gmail) issue where it refreshes the page back to the login screen. Then I had to close the tab, open a new one and then load Gmail. It was very frustrating.

When iOS 7 came out, I combined all three of my email accounts into the native Mail.app on OS X and iOS.

That's what I'm doing now.

17. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Apple Mail. I think you really need a good and specific reason to use anything else. Anyone who just dismisses it out of hand is likely an idiot.

18. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use Postbox - I like the UI and especially the Evernote integration. Previously I used Thunderbird, which I also liked.

19. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Apple's Mail app on the Mac (and on iPhone and iPad) - it has a lot of power behind the scenes, and many useful features. This is much like other Apple software… and I get the feeling that some people dismiss it after a cursory glance, instead of looking at the tips on Apple's website, reading the built-in help pages or browsing websites that delve into the power-features.

It's a very good piece of software, and it works really well in fullscreen mode too on my MacBook Air.

20. axellucas macrumors newbie

Top selected 3

I think you can also go for Mailbox, AIRMAIL, OWA (Outlook Web Access) for iPhone. All of these three are best options for mailing via your apple device

21. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Still using Sparrow. Love it. Whenever I get my Exchange account actually working I may check out Airmail or simply Mail.app so I can have everything in one place.

22. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Mail on Mac. It serves my needs, integrates nicely with the rest of OS X, and it's already here.

Thunderbird on Windows... but that's been years!

23. onekerato macrumors regular

I use Sparrow because (1) it's zippier than Mail.app (2) shows unread message count in menu bar and most importantly, (3) I can drop an attachment and it creates a dropbox URL automatically (or not if you wish).

I wish I could hit "send" before it had finished uploading to dropbox - it could have uploaded in the background, created the dropbox URL and sent the message silently when everything was ready. As it is, I have to wait. Other than that, Sparrow works great.

I don't use any archiving or folder/categorizing features (my "Inbox Infinity" approach to email management :) so there's no lock-in to Sparrow.

I bought it for $10 a while back. Since it's no longer in development, Google ought to make it free methinks.

24. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

The native mail client works well enough for me.