What maintenance Apps do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZZANG, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

I use Onyx and MainMenu

I did also use IceClean, but figured Onyx and MainMenu for the occasional maintenance was enough. :rolleyes:

2. simsaladimbamba, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Onyx and MainMenu do the maintenance OS X already does by itself, except some exceptions, but since some years I don't feel the need anymore to sue or use them. I used Onyx in the first year of my Mac OS X changeover, but phased it out in 2005 and just let Mac OS X handle the OS. If I have a problem, I can solve it with a quick www search for most of the time.

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they're glad :)

I think since 10.5.4 most of these tools have become redundant to not doing any help at all.

4. simsaladimbamba

Their can be glad of coarse, but it seems to be a thin-spread mistake of mine, maybe I am too tired to see the obvious ones.

5. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

I use ONYX but honestly don't think it does that much to enhance performance. Could be wrong though.

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

The usual set of maintenance script using Onyx before applying any combo update and that's about it.

7. ZZANG thread starter macrumors regular

ZZANG

When I ran GeekBench the first time I got mid 10k. After installing all my programs and running Onyx I gained back approx 3gigs and ran GeekBench again and scored above 11K no upgrades.

Maybe it's the old school in me - but, I still perform routine maintenance and what not on any machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

DW and Onyx

I use Disk Warrior (run while booted up from an external firewire HD) and Onyx.
    Onyx has several functions that do not need to be run all the time, or only when there is a related issue. The maintenance scripts get run by the OS, but if you want to run them, Onyx makes it easier than pasting them in to a terminal window. Onyx can also make it easier to delete caches etc,. a common "try this and see if it works" type of thing, which does work if the issue you are having is due to a corrupted cache. In any case having Onyx and using it to delete the browser cache and history, the logs and the misc. items can delete up to 700 files, so I run that function before backing up my home folder. I have never noticed any speed increase after using Onyx.
    I run Disk Warrior occasionally to optimize the directory and as a preventive type of maintenance, to catch disk errors before they become critical. This does give a slight feeling of a speed increase, but it doesn't last long and may be a false feeling. However, Disk Warrior is the best in its field for recovery from a bad crash, and it is nice to have on hand just in case.
    Still, no maintenance whatever can take the place of having a proper backup, hard drives die, sooner or later, it is just a matter of time. Sometimes you get lucky and the drive lasts longer than the other hardware, sometimes not.