what make is the MBP stock 7200rpm drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonGough, Mar 22, 2009.

1. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

hi guys,

please help. this is really simple but i can't find anything searching the forums or google..

what make and model is the 320Gb 7200rpm hard drive that Apple send out with the unibody 15" MBP? are they using just one manufacturer or is it pot luck?

I'm considering a Seagate Barracuda 320Gb 7200rpm upgrade as tomshardware put it top, just ahead of the WD Scorpio black. (disk performance is about equal, but the WD uses more power thus less battery life)

any useful advice or suggestions? its for use with Logic & Pro Tools.

many thanks :)

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I don't know the answer to your question about the OEM Mac 7200 rpm drives, but I have read that some of them were Seagate... from folks who replaced them with bigger drives.

I thought Seagate's 2.5" drives were called Momentus, and the 3.5" ones were the Barracudas... I guess I could look it up..;)

You might want to consider the WD Scorpio Blue 500gig drive, because even though it's 5400 rpm drive, it has comes close to the 7200 rpm drives in throughput, and uses less power than most others. And it has all that extra room. Check out the comparison charts in the review.

BTW: I bought this drive for $89 from Newegg, and so far I've cloned my original drive to it, and use it to boot from externally. It's quieter than I would have expected, and I don't hear the clicks that some folks talk about during use, other than when heads park during disconnect/etc. Next week it goes into my MBP as the primary drive.

3. Cantunis macrumors member

2.8 BTO MBP in da haus and I got a dead silent hitachi drive :)

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yes, mine was a Hitachi. You can find out by using Disk Utility, and looking on the sidebar for the drive information. My disk was a Hitachi HTS54 320GB (in reality, it's a little over 300GB, evil marketing strategy)

6. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I've got a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421ASG... on my previous machine (17" MBP) which was faulty I had a Hitachi drive which was dead silent but this one makes a bit of a noise compared to the Hitachi!