What make of memory do MacBook pros use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lilt, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lilt macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what make of memory is used in the Macbook pro? If it varies from model to model, I'm specifically interested in the 17" Unibody Macbook pro.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

3. Lilt thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I'm not looking to upgrade or anything. I was just wondering what type of RAM apple puts into it in the first place.

The specs, and various diagnostic tools, all tell me that I have 4GB ram. What I want to know, however, is who made those 4GB of ram presently inside my MacBook Pro.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The RAM DIMM's that came with my MacBook Pro (Late-2008 15-inch) were from Samsung. I think Apple uses RAM from different vendors but I haven't seen them myself, most I see are from Samsung.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

6. Lilt thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

I was speaking to someone who said that apple basically used cheap components in a nice fancy unibody shell.

Well, I can tell that my hard drive is a Hitachi, which is a reputable make (IIRC they bought IBM's HD Division). I'm not sure exactly what make the RAM is but I hear both Hynx and Samsung are decent manufacturers, the sort that OCZ and Crucial get some of their stock from, so I think I feel justified telling my friend they are incorrect.

7. borcanm macrumors regular

MY 2006 MBP came with Samsung Ram. And I have heard from plenty of Mac owners that theirs (all various models) came with Samsung ram as well. In fact I think Samsung makes all the ram used in Mac.

Keep in mind though that Samsung makes the ram chips, not necessarily the whole ram sticks with the chips on them. The ram chips are the black squares you see on a ram stick. So on your ram sticks it might say its made by someone else but the actual memory chips are made by Samsung.