What makes a logic board crash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenguy4, Jan 30, 2008.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

I was wondering what I could do that makes a logic board last longer. I bought my iBook G4 3 years ago and after two years logic board crashed, 6 months later again, 6 months later (with about 5 days left in warranty), it crashed once more. Now I am out of warranty but I am wondering if their is something that maybe I doing that is making the logic board die after 6 months? Any advice?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What makes a logic board crash? Poor design. The iBooks are notorious for poorly-designed (defective) logic boards. There isn't really anything you can do to circumvent that, besides not buying them.

3. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

What kind of shape is your iBook in? Reason why is that just 2 weeks ago our little girl's iBook succumbed to a fried logic board. She also needed a new keyboard, the hinge was breaking and the case at the bottom of her lcd was pulling away and had a huge gap.

Rather than buy a new Mac (we knew this iBook was being passed down to a sibling in the Fall for the school laptop program), we opted to get *everything* repaired under Apple's flat rate repair program. For a flat rate of $280 plus tax, they repaired everything which needed to be done. She's very happy with her 'like new' iBook that had just gone out of AppleCare, and we're pleased these repairs have a 90 day warranty on them.

Just something to consider. Of course, the other choice is to put that money towards a new MacBook, which also makes good sense.