What makes a new iMac slow booting up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I just bought a brand new AL iMac 2.4GHz 20" 500GB HD and haven't really loaded anything much on it yet. It is booting up much slower today than yesterday and I don't know why. I have only loaded the Temperature monitor to watch how hot the iMac gets. Other than that, I have started loading my photos into iPhoto, about 2GB so far.

Should the temp monitor be slowing the iMac down when booting up? It used to boot up in like 15 seconds, now it is taking about 40 seconds. Not a lot of time, but I don't have any big programs on it yet. Is this computer that sensitive to loading programs or just this temp one?

Is there a way to figure out what is causing the new extended amount of time??

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Got an external harddrive attached? Or any other USB/Firewire devices (other than the keyboard/mouse). Sometime that seems to slow boot up for me.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try repair permissions and check disk for errors

or

did you clear the system cache previously? that could be a reason too, which need no further care, will heal by itself.

4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

When you boot up the machine, does the screen stay white/greyish for a while and then the apple symbol appears and then you finally get to the desktop? is that what happens?

5. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I didn't clear out the cache..... I actually don't know how (yet).
    How do I repair permissions and what will that do?

As far as hooking up other items, I only have a printer hooked up to the imac. I plan on hooking my iPod up to it but haven't done so yet.

6. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Repair permissions..

Search Disk Utility in Spotlight and then find your volume, click repair permissions.

7. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Yes.

8. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

An interesting thing happened today. I loaded Boot Camp and tried to load XP (until I realized I had SP1) either way I loaded Boot Camp on my Imac. After BC was loaded, my Imac booted up into OSX in like 1/4 the time it did before loading up BC. It starts up REALLY fast now, like it was when I first got it.

I have no explanation for this but I am very happy about this. :)