Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Hello,

I'm looking at a Mac Workgroup Server 8550/200 on an auction right now, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what makes this machine a server?

I'm looking for a Mac to connect to my ISDN modem, dial-in then run IP masquerading to share the connection over the network. So far I've been doing it through Debian linux but would like to use a Mac server if possible and do not have NEARLY enough money to get an Xserve.

Call me stupid, but doesn't a server require extra software/software other than that in workstation installs? Yet this machine I'm looking at says it has OS 8 installed. Is this all I need to run a Mac server?
(Forgive my ignorance, I've only used Linux/UNIX for servers, and Macs for workstations.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

-5300cs

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
ISDN router

...because this server is going for about $40 whereas a router would cost a lot more.

5300cs

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
non G3

well... my current IP masquerading machine is a p100 running Debian and it has no problems.
I'm talking about a network with no more than 2 machines sharing the connection at once, sooo... ancient doesn't really bother me.:cool:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
wow, i cant believe i'm saying this....

then why don't you go buy another p100 for $20 and save yourself the post-hassle and confussion (and $20+shipping)? the 'server' does refer to a liscense, I do not believe there's any difference in the hardware.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
oh...

Well, if there's no difference then I might as well.
I thought there would be some sort of OS difference; I was looking for something point & click for my wife to use.

5300cs

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
You don't need a G3 for an ISDN router. You don't even need a PPC. The 8550 is much more machine than you would need for such a task if that's all you'll be using it for.

I'm sure there must be some kind of routing software available for the classic Mac OS (version 8). I know that routing (or even using more than one network interface at a time) is not a built-in facility of the OS, so you'll likely have to pay for some shareware to do this. (Or else install Linux or whatever onto the machine and wrap up the functions you need it to do into easy-to-use, carefree shell scripts with names like "startisdn" and "stopisdn" - but then, why bother replacing your P100). Apple servers before OS X ran ordinary Mac OS with some network applications added, I believe (although I'm not sure).

You mentioned that a dedicated ISDN router would be more expensive, but if you look at long-term cost, you might pay more over time for the 8550 because it uses so much more electricity.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
why dont you hook your isdn modem to a blind hub. the hub will have at least 4 ports. one port will be for your "uplink" (that is where you will put the modem out cable"), the other ports can be used for your other two computers. this does not provide the same network security, but what do you care?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.