What makes a video great?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macsareamazing, Jul 22, 2007.

1. macsareamazing macrumors newbie

My step-mom makes videos all of the time, for birthdays and stuff like that. She has adobe premier elements and her movies are OK (not trying to be mean). My macbook pro is coming along with final cut studio 2 in about 2 weeks. My grandmother past away and I’m planning on making a video of her life for the entire family. I would say I have quite a bit of creativity and am very good at the computer (for a 15 year old), although I am not yet experienced with final cut. I was just wondering what sorts of things make a movie great and not just like my step mom’s “home movies”. What makes the professionals so much better when they are just using pictures (no video). I want to make my video great and am willing to put a lot of work into it as creative computer stuff is kind of a hobby of mine.

Thanks for any help!!

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't make a lot of "movies", but when watching any kind of film, the story for me is what makes it great. If you aren't telling a story, then there really isn't a point.

When making home movies, this can be kind of tough. It usually ends up being just a way to remember stuff. But for your Grandmother, you could do a really cool documentary of her life with interviews, photos, narration, and music. Her life is a story, you will just have to mold the film to tell it.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

You could look for other videos made by professionals for ideas