What makes Apple memory so special?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RetepNamenots, Jun 9, 2009.

1. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

I was looking at the configurations for Macbook Pros. To upgrade the new 13" model to 8Gb (2x4Gb) of memory costs £880...

But what makes it so special?

This Corsair stuff:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164772

Costs £538.99 - Which is a saving of £340. And Corsair is high-quality stuff...?

for £880 you can buy a whole new Macbook Pro 13"!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Absolutely nothing, other than its cost.

They price high because some people are either too clueless or too lazy to bother buying RAM elsewhere and installing it themselves.

3. knarzie macrumors regular

the difference in price = you getting to fly to Cupertino to watch Steve put it in for you :D

4. RetepNamenots thread starter macrumors 6502

For that price, that really is what I would expect! ;)

I've just worked out; if you're buying the MBP 13" with 8Gb memory, spend £600 extra and you can actually get return flights to California, and buy the same MBP model there.

So if anyone wants to go on a holiday and wants a MBP - there's a way to save money! ;)

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Which brand does Apple use stock?

So there are absolutely no differences at all and the Corsair will be plug-and-play?

6. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Who says Apple RAM is special ?. Just the Apple tax prices.

RAM is RAM, it either works or it does not. There are no moving parts and EFI will adjust the timing upon boot up. Of course poor quality RAM could hang a machine, so I would classify poor quality ram as non-functional (hence, does NOT work). OCZ, Cosair and Kingston, Samsung, Hynix, Nanya are a good bunch of quality ram out there.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe apple memory is special just a bit over-priced but with that said, I don't opt for the cheapest cut rate ram I can find. You do get what you pay for and I choose to pay a little more from crucial or OWC, knowing I'll get quality models with great support to back them up.