What Makes Browsers Timeout All the Time???

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
After recent several Mac OS auto updates, something is driving me nuts now:

My browsers are getting timeout every 10 minutes, both Safari 2.04 and Firefox 2.0.0.6, even not timeout, a page would take 10-30 seconds to load. If I turn off the Airport and then turn it on, the browsers come back again loading pages normally, then 5-10 minutes later...

What's wrong with Apple recently? the only thing changed on my MBP was the auto updates, I didn't change any thing, nor any new software installed.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you have another machine on your network, try a large file transfer between the two and see if it can keep the transfer going. This might test whether it's a network issue or an internet one...

There've been a few complaints about 10.4.10 and the Intel AirPort cards. Is that the recent update you're talking about?

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I suspect that the issue is because of the recent Mac updates, I accept whatever update from Apple Software Update, so I think my MacBook Pro has ALL the updates installed.

If you have another machine on your network, try a large file transfer between the two and see if it can keep the transfer going. This might test whether it's a network issue or an internet one...

There've been a few complaints about 10.4.10 and the Intel AirPort cards. Is that the recent update you're talking about?

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
I've had the same problem...and I'm not using Airport to connect on the net, I'm on an ethernet router. I can also connect using Airport and when I do the same problem happens.

I can be surfing the net on Safari, Firefx or Opera and some pages won't load and time out. I can't test what your asking for as I don't have a second machine, but have testes it in a different way: I switch to Mail and download my e-mails, which they do with no problem and very fast. So i guess from this I might be able to assume this is not a connection problem.

My uneducated guess is that Apple probably has introduced some security updates that are maybe to "strict"...or strict enough to slow things down when connected.