Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
Can anyone with experience using the Google browser vouch for what makes it so great? When I have tried it (on four different computers, different networks and locations) a lot of websites don't seem to work at all. I keep running into situations where some plugin seems to be required, but no plugin or fix exists. Why then are so many technology news sites writing such flattering reviews of this browser? Is it really fit to compete with Safari and Firefox?:confused:

Cerebrus' Maw

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Can anyone with experience using the Google browser vouch for what makes it so great? When I have tried it (on four different computers, different networks and locations) a lot of websites don't seem to work at all. I keep running into situations where some plugin seems to be required, but no plugin or fix exists. Why then are so many technology news sites writing such flattering reviews of this browser? Is it really fit to compete with Safari and Firefox?:confused:

Were you on Mac's yes?

Chrome for OSX is still a heavily beta version, having only been released (not sure on this) last september/october I think.

Chrome on Windows is a great experience. Some reasons

- Very simple, uncluttered UI
- Fast rendering
- Great JS engine
- Hasent broke on me yet, and thats about 4-5 months of use now.

Mac version will get there eventually, but you cant blame Google for going after a platform with 90% market share first.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
I used on the company network, on a Windows XP desktop and netbook. At home I tried it on Vista Home Premium (HP laptop) and a Gateway desktop with XP still on. I haven't tried it on Mac yet, because I just got my new Macbook Pro and didn't want to bog it down with a browser that doesn't work so well the few times I tried it on Windows.

Hm, I do remember the UI being very simplified, but I couldn't seem to get so many sites to load/show media, etc... Are there some special things you have to install?

alienapp

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2010
For windows its definitely one of the best browsers. But on the Mac since is still in beta it lacks polish. Therefore it would need a little more work before it becomes a great browser.

Performance wise as of now there isn't too much of a difference. Between Chrome and Safari. I've tested them and they seem the same. But i've noticed that in Chrome beta when you click on a link it seems to stall for a while before loading the link.

My 2 cents.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
For me, a browser serves exactly one purpose—to browse the World Wide Web. Chrome is a WebKit-based browser. Chrome for the Mac earned a perfect score of 100 on the Acid3 Test. However, Chrome for the Mac is still beta. Safari 4.0.4 is also a WebKit-based browser—the premier WebKit-based browser. It earns a perfect score of 100 on the Acid3 Test. However, it is also a finished product.

For a Windows user, Chrome makes sense. It is a standards-compliant browser with no significant vulnerabilities. It is also much further along in its development. Primary competition for the Windows version of Chrome is Internet Explorer, the least standards-compliant and the most vulnerable browser available on any platform. For the Mac user, Chrome is a curiosity, particularly when put up against Safari. Because they share the WebKit browser frameworks, Chrome and Safari render webpages the same. However, Chrome is much less mature than Safari. So, what's the point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.