What makes MBP so heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daffy67, Mar 1, 2012.

1. daffy67 macrumors newbie

I know it's a combination of parts, is the trackpad and screen really made of glass?
    I watched vids on making the Unibody, very interesting and I have installed 8GB RAM in my MBP so I have seen inside it, lots of battery in there.
    Late 2011 MBP is what I own, couldn't be happier with my first Mac purchase.

2. simsaladimbamba

Which model do you have? 13", 15" or 17"?

And while the trackpad and display front are made of glass, it is not the main source for weight, the display glass weighs maybe 100 to 200 g and the trackpad surface may weight 10 to 20 g.
    The battery and shell and HDD make up the most of the weight.

Anyway, I have a 17" MBP and 3 kg for that size notebook is quite a good weight.
    The 13" with is 2 kg is quite light and the 15" with its 2.5 kg is light too.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

4. daffy67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry it's a 13" late 2011, I had a C2D 2008 15" for all of 4 days before getting this one, sold it on quickly when i realised it had the dreaded NV GPU.:D

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

The 17" is a brute to lug, much more noticeable since I got my MBA, but it still plays a big part in my workflow...If they do kill it off,at least mine is up to days for now.

6. lamboman macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say there is one particular part that causes the extra weight of the MBP apart from the battery, which will be quite a bit heavier than that of the MBA. The larger enclosure won't be a huge amount heavier than that of the MBA, the optical drive isn't that heavy, and the HD is light (did an SSD swap yesterday). However, if you add all of these components up, the weight does of course add up.

In other words, the extra weight is due to a bit of everything.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Mac laptops are fairly lightweight by comparison with similarly-specced equipment from other manufacturers.