what makes MBP worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylep6190, Nov 23, 2007.

1. kylep6190 macrumors member

Hey I can't really decide between the Black Macbook or the bottom line MBP. I am going to be a Computer Science major in college so I will be using it a lot and need a pretty good machine. But what exactly makes the MBP worth $500 more than the macbook? It has the same processor and a smaller hard drive. The only things better that I can tell are a bigger screen and much better graphics card - but I don't see why those would make it worth $500 more. I know I must be missing something, but can someone please enlighten me on why I should spend the extra $500? Will the MBP last longer?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

The question is, what makes a black macbook worth more than a white one? Why aren't you contemplating that.

The MBP starts with a 15.4" screen to start off with. Add an all aluminum case, better video card and whatever else is different (I don't know)... and there you have it.

Why is black plastic worth 200 more than white?

** edit: extra gig of ram for the base model.. we all know how much Apple prices their ram for.

3. admiraldennis macrumors regular

If you don't need a bigger screen or a better graphics card, then don't get the MacBook Pro. :)

4. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

I got my macbook (White) two days ago and I haven't left it alone since! The macbook really is a nice laptop. And also, White looks nicer than black in my opinion, just needs a little extra cleaning.

Macbook pro is nice but far too expensive, Get the macbook. ;)

5. comebackdwn macrumors regular

no, if you are wanting to run final cut or aperture or any of those programs....a macbook pro would be best.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

There are those who select the MBP because it is the only laptop option for those who are not that comfortable with the glossy screen option that is standard on all MacBooks.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The pro should last longer, especially the hard drive because it's much cooler inside (because it's all dispersed through the case).

I've got a MacBook Pro (my own and only computer) and my dad has a MacBook, and they're both very good computers, but the MacBook Pro really is streets ahead in terms of usability and overall 'user comfort' (which makes a huge difference to how well you use it IMO).

• Aluminium case - disperses heat
    • Larger hard drive bay - able to take 'thicker' drives
    • Better quality display - much more comfortable to look at than a MacBook display
    • Higher resolution display - more workspace
    • Ambient light sensor - really helps your eyes out, believe me.
    • Backlit keyboard - definitely not 'just a gadget', very good in low-light.
    • FireWire 800 connection
    • PC expansion slot
    • Better WiFi/BlueTooth range (in my experience)
    • Will last longer - less internal heat, whilst the MacBook kinda 'bottles' it in
    • Better iSight, if it means anything.
    • Better keyboard - much faster typing speed than the MacBook in my experience
    • MUCH better trackpad - the Pro's is so much smoother and overall nicer than the MacBook's.
    • Dual-Link DVI connection for running big displays
    • Feels much better made
    • Looks nicer (at least IMO)

If you can afford the Pro, get it, it's more than worth the extra cash. If not, the MacBook is the one for you...

8. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

What are you going to be doing with your laptop? That's the question.

Video editing, high-end photo editing with huge canvas' in Photoshop, intensive gaming, 3D rendering. Those are all things that MBP would be great for.

If you are primarily going to use it for personal use and do those things very rarely, go with the MacBook. I bought my dad one and he likes it a lot. I couldn't imagine using Photoshop on a 13" 1280x800 screen. That's why I got a 17" 1680x1050 (I want a 1920x1200) :D

9. midtoad macrumors newbie

DirectX

Another difference: if you install Parallels or Boot Camp to run Windows on your laptop, you'll want to know that the MacBook's graphics card will not run DirectX apps fast enough for them to be usable. (e.g. my flight simulator app ran at 1 frame/sec on the MacBook). The graphics card on the MBP handles DirectX much better (my app runs at 60 frames/sec now).

If that's not an issue, go for the MacBook - it's smaller, lighter and cheaper!

10. kylep6190 thread starter macrumors member

I will be using it for coding programs and websites, photoshop a little bit for designing websites, no video editing or anything, not sure about 3d modeling since I will be a CS major I might. But I will be gaming a little and almost definatly using either boot camp or fusion.

11. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

I used a macbook while my MBP was being repaired. I missed my MBP a lot during the past three weeks. Here are the main reasons:

1. I am used to the 15.4" screen. Even though the 13" was nice while I was on a plane, it just was too small to get things done. Speaking of screens, I like the matte screens over the glossy, but this is a matter of personal preference.

2. I feel that the MBP was snappier. Even though both machines have 3GB ram and the MB was only 32MHz slower, I felt that it was a big difference dealing with parallels, iPhoto, etc.

My opinion is - buy the most machine you can afford. But if you can swing the MBP, get it. You won't be disappointed.

12. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

If you have the cash, get the Macbook pro. Doing any type of editing on that 13" is going to be painful. I owned a Macbook once upon a time, and sold it after a year because I could barely do anything on it. It felt great at first, but I just started feeling limited after a while. My Macbook pro performs better than my iMac

13. Hoo03 macrumors regular

If you're thinking of new black mb, then consider refurbished mbp.
    The price gap is no longer $500.

I think everyone added their valuable inputs so most of the pros/cons were covered.

Here is 1 consideration not covered in this thread. Not that mbp speakers are anything to rave about; however, it is capable of producing much higher volume than mb.

14. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

MacBook will be able to handle the coding programs and websites. Websites usually don't need big images so the MacBook should be able to handle using Photoshop as well.

You really should think about 3D modelinng and gaming, like what type of games will you want to play? Call of Duty 4, Tiger Woods 2008, etc? I heard MacBooks don't do well with gaming at all. My dad uses Parallels and it works fine he says. You don't need a black MacBook either, you can get the white, but just get RAM from OWC or some other website for cheap if you decide to get the MacBook.

15. kylep6190 thread starter macrumors member

Well from what I have heard I think that the MBP will just be a better fit for me, since I do have the cash for it. I am going to wait until they come out with the Penryn processor for the MBP since I really don't need it until next fall (although I would love to have it earlier since it will be my first mac). Once they come out I might get a refurbed SR MBP if they drop down enough to make room for the Penryn's....or maybe I might just get the Penryn. I can afford a new one, but since I will be going to college I would like to spend as little as possible.

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Don't forget it has double the RAM as standard, a built in DVI port (saving you buying an adapter if you hook it up to a monitor) as well as the bigger, better resolution screen and dedicated graphics card. , all in an enclosure of a similar size... (seriously, I compared the footprints of the MB and 15" MBP, there's not much in it at all) worth the extra now??

The black MacBook has a 40GB bigger HD, and the material has a dull, non-reflective finish which some may find preferable. It's not just a case of swapping black paint with white.

17. kylep6190 thread starter macrumors member

Why couldnt Apple just make the Macbook and MBP fully customizable like every other computer company? I love the black color of the Macbook, throw a 15 inch screen and a new graphics card on there and I would have a great machine!

18. admiraldennis macrumors regular

That too. I really hate glossy displays.

19. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Dunno if your site design will involve dreamweaver, but I can't imagine using DW on the little screen of the MB. Then again, I have horrible eyesight.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In CompSci I can see you living with the machine a lot more, and probably puting through a lot more abuse.

So the plastic case may come in handy a bit more and not fold under pressure like an empty aluminum can requiring $600 in body work.

21. schreck macrumors regular

Pretty good summarization. The thing that I believe to be the most disputable of what you said is the better WiFi/Bluetooth range. It makes more sense that a signal can pass through plastic easier (rather than aluminum). I won't argue with your own experience though, that's guaranteed.

22. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I would also love it if people would be able to get a Macbook with GPU as an optional extra. I really hate that I actually always have to recommend the pro model, because that's the only Apple laptop that has enough beef for graphics.