What makes the computer use the dedicated GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Apr 15, 2010.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So far I'm only running a web browser, yet the computer decides it needs the dedicated GPU for a web browser to display a bunch of web pages; none of these have Flash or even videos for that matter!

I know if I'm on my desktop idling and doing nothing it will use the integrated graphics, I know if I open Photoshop it will switch to dedicated graphics; when close Photoshop, Intel graphics kick in. Good.

But what makes this browser require that? This not only uses a lot of power, it is getting a little toasty.

Thoughts on this folks?

2. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

they probably havent perfected it yet, this is the first time they have implemented it, but i think that anything that uses OpenCL or OpenGL uses the dedicated card. Im not sure, but that may be why it kicks in

3. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Its supposed to intercept any OpenGL or OpenCL video call and turn it on automatically. Theoretically it should work perfectly.

How do you know its on? Are you using a third party program? Anandtech.com did a review stating that those utilities are currently bugged and always show the dedicated GPU as on.

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

System Profiler says it's using the GT 330M

5. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

yah it does turn on kinda random sometimes. i noticed whenever i have utorrent open the 330m is activated. i dont get why utorrent would need the video and why its turned on. this is always when utorrent is open.