What makes the iPhone 3G more valuable? (not compared to iP4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Jul 28, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

So my girlfriend and I were cleaning out her car and she found her old iPhone 3G. She stopped using it last November because not only is the screen cracked, but the antenna inside it apparently came loose so she was dropping calls pretty often (but was able to text and what not- don't ask how).

Anyway, I'm really wanting to sell it on eBay but it seems like most iPhones sold on eBay are either JB'd or unlocked or both (I'm not familiar with the process; I understand the difference, just not how to get there).

Will JB'ing/unlocking the iPhone make it worth more online? Or will most people wanting to buy it with a cracked screen and intermittent antenna be ones who could do that themselves anyway?

And what would be a good price for it? The iPhone 2G goes for upwards of $70, so should $100 or more be a good price to aim for for the 3G?

If anyone is interested on here, let me know in a PM. I'm not sure if that's against the rules or not, but that's not the point of the thread anyway. Just throwing it out there.

Thanks.

2. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

eBay is simple put it up for sale on a 1 or 3 day auction start it at 99 cents and you will get what you get! Its no good to know anyway so anything you get for it better than nothing. Alot of people spend up to a hundred or so on broken 3G's cause they can fix them themselves.

Just put it up for auction and you get what you get... nuff said... good luck and hopefully you can get a few bucks out of it to pay for a case for her new phone so she doesnt break that one. :p

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I just want to maximize the value of something that provides little use to myself, but could to someone else who can fix it, etc.

So if something as free and hopefully simple as JB'ing/unlocking an iPhone 3G running presumably 3.x.x firmware will increase the value that much more, I'm interested. But I have absolutely no idea where to even go to find reliable and useful instructions on JB'ing and unlocking iPhone 3G's.

4. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another question: is there a reliable way to fix a loose antenna on your own? Or is that something best left to be fixed by someone who specializes in phone repairs/Apple/etc.?