what makes the mighty mouse THAT horrible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Boika, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Boika macrumors regular

Hey, i will be ordering a wireless mighty mouse with my MBP order in 2 weeks, and just out of curiously (as i have only ever used one for about 2 mins) What makes the mighty mouse so bad that people always say DONT GET IT etc...

Thanks.

2. jhande macrumors 6502

In my book the fershluggener impossibility of disassembling the machine and cleaning it.

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I like mine - the wireless one is good. The ball for scrolling can get stuck sometimes, which sucks though.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont know why people dont like them i have two, they are awesome, the scroll ball is the best thing ever invented but the worst thing ever designed, it does get stuck a lot, but a quick lick of the finger and rolling the ball around on it fixes it right up.

5. Hydramus macrumors member

One thing some people might not like is the fact that the left and right click aren't separated so you cannot click both at the same time. Might be a problem in some games.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm not a gamer, but that does annoy me. I also feel that they are imprecise; I just never feel like I'm quite as in control as I am with a good Logitech mouse.

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

you just hit the nail on the head....imprecise.

It's better than using a trackpad, but only just a little bit.

A good mouse is such a pleasure compared to a trackpad, and the mighty mouse feels like an unwelcome compromise...a purely aesthetic compromise, at that.

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I loved my mighty mouse. In almost every respect it's the best mouse I've ever used.

But that scrollball. It now only scrolls up and not down. I'll try that cleaning tip though and hope it works - the scrollball is brilliant when it works.

9. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

It's high failure rate makes it horrible. When it works, it's not so bad. However, I just don't have time to take it apart every couple of weeks to clean the inside just to keep it going. No other mouse which I have ever owned has been less reliable than either the wired or bt MM.

10. RUFiO795 macrumors member

I love my wireless Mighty Mouse and cannot think of a single thing to complain about. My trackball has never been stuck, I've never had to clean the underside to make it work (I use the mouse on a smooth, flat table), and I find it be absolutely precise enough to go about my daily business. Although I'm not a hardcore gamer, I did dabble in World of Warcraft for a while and the keyboard/Mighty Mouse combo was very intuitive and effective, so no gaming problems from me. Get you a Mighty Mouse.

11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I didn't really give mine a fair chance, to be honest. I couldn't. The placement of my Mac Pro gave me line-of-sight issues with the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, which resulted in an unusable mouse.

12. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

:confused: You don't need line-of-sight for Bluetooth. It operates on RF.

13. nawks macrumors newbie

i love the trackball, but thats pretty much about it to the mighty mouse.
    maybe i'm not too sure how to do it, but the mighty mouse has horrible sensitivity. lack of buttons? not really ergonomic. its kinda cute, no doubt. but..

i still prefer razer's proclick 1.6.. just that its not exactly compatible with leopard yet.. gah!

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, but Bluetooth reception with the Mac Pro's thick, all-aluminum case is notoriously spotty at best. I notice it's much better when my machine is to the left of my peripherals rather than the right.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The new mm is optical, so you don't have to worry about the track ball cleaning.
    It's a good mouse, but its also way too pricey I think - especially since the right-click can be a little finicky (two of mine right click fine, one almost always left clicks when trying to right click). I also think they could make it a lot more ergonomic.
    My wife swears by them though and won't use anything else, so go check one out at a store before you buy.

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish it had a better ball at the top. It has the same problems as the non-optical mice of the past.

17. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I do love my BT Mighty Mouse.

The scroll ball is fab, as is the "squeeze" operation (which I set to Exposé - all windows). I also love that it just works wirelessly without an extra dongle and without taking up a USB port. It also looks cool.

There's a few minor niggles (below) but they are outweighed for me by the plus points:
    • My first one wouldn't right-click at all. But Apple replaced it quickly enough.
    • The scroll ball gets dirty and you have to clean it. But following the instructions on the Apple website always works for me.
    • To do a right-click, you have to lift your left finger right off the mouse, which took me some getting used to at first.
    • Can't do simultaneous left+right click. But I'm not a gamer, so I've never needed to.
    • Whilst the MM looks cool, my large chunky old ergonomic Logitech was easier on the wrist.
    SL

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's a fairly typical Apple product in that it has some very nice features but a significant degree of core functionality has been compromised by the need to fit an aesthetic goal. I guess it comes down to whether you find those features more compelling than it's problems. But many people I know who're long-time Mac users and also recent switchers hate it.

I don't mind it - I like the mini trackball for specific things (even for PC use), and I find it relatively easy to ignore its functional faults, and I do use a few on an active basis. However, on desktops - especially on PC's, I frequently use the MM and another mouse. For general use I'll use the Revo MX for example, but for Excel/etc I'll switch to the MM.

19. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, i will most defenantly not be using mine for gaming, :p just video editing and light internet use. I am still considering getting one, but just before i place my purchase i might huddle down to the apple store and give it a better test drive.

20. jhkingsr macrumors regular

That's exactly what you need to do. You can ask everyone what they think, but it's what you think that counts!

21. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

laser, actually, big difference, optical dosent work on a shiny surface of any kind, laser works on most

22. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Actually, the wired is still optical and yeah still sucks on shiny surfaces, but yes the wireless is laser.

23. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I have two wireless Mighty mouse(s, meece, mice, whatever) and love them both!

One in my laptop bag and one for the iMac.

I think they work flawlessly. I do use both of them on really thin, black mousepads though.

Cheers.

24. un1ty macrumors member

I loved my mighty mouse until the trackball stopped working every couple of days. If you have oily skin the trackball will eventually get stuck and sometimes cleaning can only make it worse since fibers can get stuck in there too. I eventually destroyed my mighty mouse when trying to take it apart to clean.

After a while I realized that it wasn't worth my time to clean the mouse every week. I replaced mine with the Logitech Revolution which is a pretty nice mouse with a few nice features like free spin mode. The biggest downfall of the logitech is the ****** Logitech Control Center (which installs APE). I do miss the mighty mouse's ability to scroll in any direction (was great for navigating large docs in photoshop). I've found that the tilt wheel of the Logitech isn't as effective.

25. PMR macrumors 6502

PMR

Not so true nowadays with the new optical sensors (logitech and razer)