What makes the new CPU's better?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I keep hearing that the new CPU's that are going to be in the next mac pro are going to be way faster but I don't understand why.

Isn't the L2 Cache the same? (does the new ones have l3?)
    Isn't it still an 8 core
    Isn;t the clock speed the same?

This is kind of a nooby question but I am very curious.

Also do you think I will be able to upgrade the CPU's in my early 2008 mac pro to the new ones? I have put a new CPU in my pc but never in my mac pro.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

Basically it gets rid of the Front Side Bus... and brings back a form of hyperthreading.

You can read up about all this on Wikipedia.

The point is, we're looking at around 20-40% better performance at the same clock speed and the same performance with less power... or something like that.

It is absolutely impossible for you to upgrade Harpertown to Gainestown in the same machine.

3. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

why can't i upgrade? They are both 45nm. Is it something with the motherboard?

also based off wiki they have the same amount of cache... i think, l3 and l2 are the same speed right? mine has 24mb l2, this new one has 256kb l2 and 24mb l3. Thats not that much of a difference right?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Cache is... not a factor anymore.

This is an entirely different processor architecture that requires a completely different motherboard and RAM.

The benefits exist, trust us.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, the entire supporting chipset will be different.

BTW, edit posts, don't double post.

6. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

(crying) But I don't want to believe you! My mac pro is better because its big and aluminum and.... and .... and, belongs to me.

Anyway, I learned everything i know about CPU's from my Pentium 4 days were L2 ment everything. So I am confused.

Also I am a little confused, these chips are 8 cores per chip? so you could have 16 on a mac pro? or is it still a quad core?

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That makes no difference at all.

The "Harpertown" CPUs use an LGA-771 socket while the new "Gainestown" uses LGA-1366. They require different support chips as well. The list goes on....

S-

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Four physical cores per chip, meaning eight physical cores in the machine, but sixteen logical cores.

As in, software that is written multithreaded, like the ENTIRETY of Snow Leopard's OS files and programs, will see the processor as having sixteen cores.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon#5400-series_.22Harpertown.22

And here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem_(microarchitecture)#45_nm_processor_architecture

S-

10. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Darn... But will I still see a performance increase in Snow leopard with my current chips?

I still think my chips are insane because dell only offers 4 cores. (take that dell!)

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

How old are you?

Please read up on Snow Leopard...that will answer your question.

S-

12. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

You will see a very good increase - that seems to be the major idea behind Snow Leopard, greater use of all cores instead of just one. You have 8 on your Mac Pro but generally aren't using anything near the power you have due to older code written for single processor systems that's been altered along the way for better multi-core support. Snow Leopard (AFAIK) is ground up multi-core code.

13. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks wheezy! Will programs be faster to? Or is that based on the program, and not the OS?

Sidewinder, Im acting a little childish because I just got back from vacation, and the planes TV's weren't working. (I Knew I should have bought that mac world)

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Depends on the program. At first, not too many will be optimized to take advantage of multiple cores.

15. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rjs

the only two I really care about are Imovie 08 and Final Cut pro.

Final cut currently has never slammed my cores, they all sit at about 40%. Will that change?

imovie 08 never uses all my cores. Will that change?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Assuming that Final Cut Studio 3 will be written specifically for Snow Leopard to be multithreaded, you should see core usage go from 40% to about 10% or lower.

You'll be able to work with 1080p video in real-time and only be at 50% usage!

Someone tell me if that's me being optimistic for once...

It never will, really, as it's only a consumer app.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

FCP is all ready multithreaded, which is why you see it at 40% of your cores. But it can improve.

iMovie '08 is dead. It will not change.

18. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well hopefully final cut 3 will support my camera. (mini DVD) Or else im stuck with imovie.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't see that ever happening, miniDVD is a consumer gimmick.

20. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im Saving for a Sony Professional on the shoulder camera, but man are they expensive.

21. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Pretty much they took one of the few advantages AMD had over core 2 with their line of chips. This being the integrated memory controller. Having no Front side bus makes a large difference. I had too laptops, one with a centrino 2 core 2 and one with a low end turion and the memory performance on the turion was miles beyond what the centrino 2 cpu could accomplish. The centrino 2 cpu got a around 4.9 in memory performance with ddr2 1066 while the turion got 5.9 with 800mhz ddr2. Of cource the core 2 had a much higher cpu score. This is probably one of the reason why unlike the athlons and first generation phenoms you rarely hear people bashing the opteron because its mostly used in high traffic servers where memory performance is crucial. Also because its virtualization is considered one of the best on the market at the moment.

22. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i'm extremely interested in finding out about this.... any pointers to info about the new final cut studio would be greatly appreciated. i haven't been able to find anything other than a vague consensus that it will need to be rewritten.

23. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

But they'll still all work... right? :confused: (32 bit programs versus 64 bit?)

24. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

they'll all still work no problem...but software programmers haven't embraced designing for mulit-core machines yet.

snow leopard will try to help by forcing application tasks to use the various cores, but won't be 100% efficient.
    (e.g. when you open safari the load won't be evenly distributed amongst the 8 cores, but the 3 or 4 tasks required to open safari will be on 3-4 cores)

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but rendering apps (like 3ds max plugins such as Maxwell and V-Ray) and FCP are the only apps out there that can use all the cores you have?

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HandBrake uses all eight.