What makes them HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by darwen, Sep 24, 2007.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

My PowerMac G5 and 20" display are starting to feel old. It is a great machine though so I dont want to get rid of the computer. I was thinking about just upgrading my monitor and got a couple questions.

I was looking over the guide...
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_Cinema_Displays

I have the first 20" model in the current form factor. Has the upgrade in Contrast Ratio and Brightness been noticeable since they bumped it up in the most recent update? What exactly is the Contrast Ratio?

My main question is why the 23" and 30" say HD. What is it that makes them HD? I am plugging them into my computer... HD is really only relevant in television. Is it just because they meet the standard for being an HDTV that we call them HD Displays? Is there something I am missing here?

2. gormond macrumors regular

An easy one for first thing in the morning :D

HD means that it supports HDCP which is required to playback HD-DVD and Blu-Ray at there full glorry :)

3. filman408 macrumors regular

Um, nooooo.

HD is talking about resolution.
    1920x1080 is considered true HD, which the 23 and 30-inch screen easily fit.

The 20-inch is not true full HD, although it can display 720p without skrinkage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

HDCP doesnt even stand for High Definition, it stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

4. NicP macrumors 6502

ACDs don't support HDCP.

HD is really just a buzz word thrown around, I think what they are referring to here is that the resolution of the monitor exceeds 1080.

5. gormond macrumors regular

I always thought that to claim something is "HD" it must support 720p/1080i and HDCP through ethier HDMI or DVI but it appears that is not the case and its "HD Ready" that i was thinking about.

Also I am aware what HDCP stands for and it is part of the HD specification that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray adhere to.

6. gormond macrumors regular

I would like to add that I think Apple are missleading here as people will assume that by HD they can use it to playback HD media (HD-DVD or Blu-ray)

For example dell also sell HD displays but theres are HDCP compatable as you would assume.