What makes your best Apple combos?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewjonn, Jun 1, 2016.

1. bent00 macrumors newbie

2004 iPod mini, 2007 Mac Mini w/40Gb SSD installed, 15" 2008 MacBook Pro w/512 SSD installed, 2010 Mac Mini w/1Tb SSD installed, 2011 iPad 2, 2013 iPad 2 rMini, 2014 iPad Air 2, 2016 iPhone 7.

It's a jumbled mess and I hate myself.

Actually the family & I use every one of these, and everything works great except the iPad 2 which is the only device that shows any sign of aging - i.e. crashes too often when being pushed. iPod mini is a great jukebox for the garage.

I've obviously taken advantage of the upgradability of the older macs. No wonder apple is taking this away, I haven't had to buy a new mac in 6 years.

But... I'll definitely be a buyer of next Mac Mini, whatever it turns out to be. Expecting everything to be soldered into a furry ball including the single USB-C cable and the power cord.

2. kschendel macrumors 65816

I started to type that we don't have much, then started counting...

Upgraded 2009 (4,1) -> (5,1) Mac Pro (24 Gb, SSD, some WD Blacks); 2013 15" rMBP (16 Gb); early 2009 iMac (8 Gb, HD replaced with SSD); iPad Pro, iPad mini 3, iPhone 7, iPhone 5, and an iPod shuffle.

The Pro and MBP are work machines and aren't going anywhere soon. The iMac probably has another year in it, doubtful that we'll push it much more. The smaller/older iPad/iPhone are my toys and the larger/newer ones my wife's.

As far as upgradability, the only purchase that Apple might have lost to an upgrade is the iMac replacement, which would have happened last year. The Mac Pro usually runs linux these days, so if Apple doesn't come out with a new Pro sometime in the next 3 years, it will probably get replaced with a hackintosh-able custom build silent PC.

3. nighthawk67 macrumors regular

nighthawk67

For school my late 2013 MBA and iPP9.7(with pencil and smart keyboard) combo are perfect great! Since I have gotten my iPP I never take my MBA to class with me and so it sits at my desk at home and I pretty much only use it there, so I think for my perfect combination I'd like to have an iMac in place of my laptop. Also pair that with my iPhone7 256gig, Apple watch and newly added AirPods my setup is fantastic and I love it! I also use an Airport express - it's safe to say I am a fanboy.

4. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

My best combo always changes. For now:

- iMac 27" for productivity. I use it every now and then for media editing (photos, videos, sometimes some Google Sketchup), syncing all of my devices (iDevices, DSLR camera, GoPro et.c.) and also watching movies. It has a huge screen and plenty of storage.

- iPad Air 2 for consumption. The first iPad that I consider "perfect". This is basically what I use 90 % of the time at home. Lightning fast, with a battery life that seems to last forever.

- iPhone 6 4.7" on the go.

- AppleTV4 in the living room. Perfect for streaming Netflix from the iPad, or showing photos on the big screen.

This does 90 % of what I need. I sold my rMBP after graduating university as it was getting unused. There are times when it could have filled a gap between the iPad and the iMac, so I will probably pick up a new laptop somewhere down the line this year. Whether it will complement, or replace the iMac remains to be seen.