Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
I heard there would be an early upgrade fee? like $100 more for each model , I'm fine with paying $299 for a 16GB or $399 for a 32GB

I think everyone that isn't eligable should qualify for the $100 more expensive early upgrade. It just depends on how Apple wants AT&T to handle it.

Actually the "early" upgrade pricing is $200 more than the new/upgrade eligible customer. There's a chance AT&T will do this again, then again, there's a chance they won't. As others have said, LOG IN TO YOUR AT&T ACCOUNT and verify when AT&T says you are eligible to upgrade.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Not everyone want's to get into new 2 year relationship. :eek:

I hear ya. Especially with the shenanigans AT&T have been pulling lately. I certainly am going to be very hesitant in signing anything with them right now. This also reminds me about the "exclusivity" agreement which may be no more in less than 2 years. I'll only get a new iPhone if I don't have to extend my contract an additional 2 years.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
When the new iphone is out:

1. Unlock and Jailbreak the phone
2. Put it on Ebay for 499 unlocked and jailbroken with original box and really good condition

Who will buy?

1. People Who want it as their wifi device
2. People Who want to use it with T-Mobile without a contract
3. People who want to use it with Rogers Wireless in Canada
4. People who want it for Parts

get around 399-499 and use that money to buy the iphone 3.0

ppool123

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
When the new iphone is out:

1. Unlock and Jailbreak the phone
2. Put it on Ebay for 499 unlocked and jailbroken with original box and really good condition

Who will buy?

1. People Who want it as their wifi device
2. People Who want to use it with T-Mobile without a contract
3. People who want to use it with Rogers Wireless in Canada
4. People who want it for Parts

get around 399-499 and use that money to buy the iphone 3.0

That's what the iPhone 3g is going for now, when the new phone is released the price will drop.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
i might end up using my 3g as a backup phone. like when going to a place (like the beach, or theme park) where the phone might not be safe. or if the new iphone gets broken and im waiting for a replacement. it'll just be my go-to phone. but im sure on 98% of days i'll have the new iphone:]

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
The used, abandoned iPhones will be sold on ebay and craigslist for parts or for people that broke their phones and need a new one, but either arent eleigible for an upgrade or dont find the new iPhone appealing. They will still sell. Remember, not everyone will find the new iPhone worth an upgrade. The 3g will still be sold new as well.

OH really I didn't know

Guess I can walk into my Honda dealership and purchase a New 1999 honda accord

:rolleyes:

to answer the OP, no one knows, since the phone isn't out yet

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I doubt i'll upgrade from 3G. Hell, I still haven't been able to fully reap the benefits of the 3G. No 3G here at school only when i'm home... which is never!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
If the new iPhone is physically going to look like the current one and have 99% if the same capabilities, I don't see many people upgrading from the 3G. More people will be upgrading from the original to the new one (or a 3G) to benefit from the 3.0 additions that the original can't support. I will be upgrading to the new one since i still have the original iPhone. But my boyfriend says he is only going to upgrade if it physically looks different (so people know he has the new one i guess?).

Oh, AND 3G owners aren't going to be eligible for the upgrade at the time that it comes out either. They surely won't pay extra to get a phone that only has a few extra features.

This is just a educated guess. The first iPhone was sold to customers at no subsidy and no contract. They had no reason not to be upgrade eligible. However, this time around AT&T took a good chuck of cost of the price and required a 2 year contract. This is not going to be the same. My guess is it will be the $399/499 price deal for early upgrades.

The only rumored new features are:
  • video recorder with editing app (some people might not care about this at all - i don't)
  • faster ram/processor (this isn't going to make or break a deal)
  • magnetometer (again, a niche thing - i don't think i'd use it)
  • improved camera (again, not enough of a reason to upgrade)

The 3G phones will still have all the new 3.0 OS features. The 3.0 OS is the important thing coming out this summer with all the new abilities.

1) People will still get the new iPhone. Many people didn't have 3G in the area they lived in, but they still bought the iPhone 3G. Meaning all they really got was GPS. They paid $200/300 and signed a 2 year contract just to get GPS then. People are willing to upgrade.

2) Upgrading the iPhone just because it looks physically different is dumb.

3) Yes, we are going to be eligible. There is no if's, and's, or but's on that fact. It's going to be the same price for everyone regardless. AT&T hasn't lost any money on a subsidized pricing of the iPhone 3G.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
1) People will still get the new iPhone. Many people didn't have 3G in the area they lived in, but they still bought the iPhone 3G. Meaning all they really got was GPS. They paid $200/300 and signed a 2 year contract just to get GPS then. People are willing to upgrade.

They didn't just get GPS. When I first got the iPhone 3G, I didn't have 3G in my area, but AT&T is upgrading their network all the time and they put 3G in my area within the first few months I had it. Next, the iPhone 3G has better reception, meaning you'll get better service and more bars in more places. Also, the iPhone 3G gave us a flush headphone jack and louder speakers. The iPhone 3G is also easier to fix a broken screen.

I would upgrade in a heartbeat if they remove the gloss from the back and make the plastic harder to crack.

3) Yes, we are going to be eligible. There is no if's, and's, or but's on that fact. It's going to be the same price for everyone regardless. AT&T hasn't lost any money on a subsidized pricing of the iPhone 3G.

You don't know that for sure.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

You will ALWAYS be able to get more than 200 for a used iPhone. That means that if you don't plan on leaving AT&T and you're ok with the contract extension, upgrading because you like the looks can net you a profit.

Besides, the new pHone will come with upgraded hardware, and at the very least, a brand new battery.

ppool123

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
1)

Please point us to the source of this information. If you are right what's the point of making people sign a 2 yr contract in the first place if they can just upgrade their phones within a year at another subsidized price. Clearly you do not understand how cell phone companies operate. You seem to think they are there to satisfy your every little need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.