WHAT may happen if Google will offer SOON its FREE GoOS ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gaetanomarano, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gaetanomarano macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

what may happen if Google will offer soon its FREE (Windows XP and Mac OSX compatible) operating system?

maybe, something like this (simulated) GoOS: http://newgoos.blogspot.com/

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I would probably be the only one not using it, I really hate how Google is trying to break into so many markets.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Never happen. MS and Apple will not license their APIs to be used in the emulation - which would kill its cross-platform appeal. Take a look at WINE, it barely works.

IMO, it would be essentially another Linux build, but probably better than Ubuntu.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Operating systems aren't "Windows XP and Mac OS X compatible". They would be replacements or substitutes for either of those, but not compatible with. That's a logical impossibility and really would be pointless.

jW

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nearly perfect Vista OS emulation would likely also mean nearly perfect BSOD emulation on a 600MHz system with 256MB Ram. :p

7. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

http://www.thinkgos.com/

Something like this has already been released.

It's just Ubuntu turned green, somewhat simplified, with Google crap all over, and the close, minimize, and maximize buttons in the OSX position.

Not a bad OS, but I uninstalled it in favor of real Ubuntu.

8. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

google chrome sort of accomplished that. google develops web based applications, so if they develop a browser that workes perfectly with those apps what is the purpose of the operating system.

9. gaetanomarano thread starter macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

with a potential (PC and Mobile) market around three billions peoples in the world and the #1 search engine that support/advertise it every day from its home page... :D

10. gaetanomarano thread starter macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

that's true for already existing OSs, but, maybe, a new OS designed from scratch could run GoOS, Windows and OSX software in "native mode" without any software "translation"

11. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No, count me in :)
    I don't even use the search engine anymore (except for MRoogle).

12. gaetanomarano thread starter macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

also Wal Mart has sold something like this in 2007 but it was nothing "official"

in my question I refer to a TRUE Google developed and supported new OS with billions potential users in the world... with a potential market ten+ times bigger than win+mac+linux, do you think that (both) software companies and smart programmers, will (still) lose its time and know how to design win/mac/linux software???

13. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

"Big Brother" may become a reality...

14. gaetanomarano thread starter macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

I see it more like an "experiment" (to know "how many weeks" they need to conquer a new market...)

without a GoOS they NEVER can win the battle against Microsoft and Apple

15. gaetanomarano thread starter macrumors newbie

gaetanomarano

I believe that Google already IS the web's "big brother" :(

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

What would happen if starbucks magically started selling miracle coffee that cures all your ailments and makes you work 10 times faster with no downside?!

Google is no miracle worker it's just a provider of a basic service that most people use, it doesn't make them godly and in the end their dominance will be everyone's undoing.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Read my post above. Apple and MS would NEVER license their APIs and the other needed backend software framework to accomplish it.

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The day Google beats Microsoft as the OS game will be the end of the world, which is apparently tommorow...

19. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

For browser based applications like google's, the browser IS the os. So google already released "it's" os with chrome.
    Google, as a successful software company which sells nothing physical, just doesn't know what to do with it's money. It's so ridiculous how they try to push in every other market. Just like microsoft... Tomorrow they will make cars or something. :rolleyes:

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You don't need to license it. Look at WINE, it works incredibly well for what it is. Plus it does not emulate the software at all, it all runs at native speed.

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Incredibly well for what it is and nearly perfect are two different things. Wine is nowhere near "nearly perfect"

22. powerdave macrumors regular

just curious Cassie and ergdegdeg, what do you use as a viable alternative to Google search? I'm open to ideas, but not using Google would be a hard habit to break!

Would use an alternative to Gmail too, if there was one that worked as well.

23. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Personally i dont like Chrome... and yahoo! gives me better search results, their google desktop isn't more than a steaming pile of wanna be spyware..

and one big thing, they need some decent graphic/ui designers, that as of yet they are lacking

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

As a retired software engineer who worked for 40 years in operating systems kernels and low level stuff, the idea of simply emulating the OSx or Windows (any version) kernel in a new system and running all the apps like Quicken, PhotoShop, Adobe is a fantasy. The APIs are not that well documented and programs tend to depend on little oddities which are not 'official', and then 'emulators' don't perform the oddity, and the app doesn't run. People try to do it, but it's nothing a casual user is going to put up with. Nothing wrong with coming up with a new system, but it is definitely not trivial. Do you have any idea how may million lines of code there in a modern OS? Get a grip.

25. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I wrote this PM to another member who was interested in my "de-Googled" Firefox. Maybe you can use that too:
    Let's start with the obvious: ixquick search and picture search in the right hand box.
    NoScript to block Google Analytics and all this AdSense-crap.
    In about:config set "keyword.URL" to "http://eu.ixquick.com/do/metasearch.pl?language=english&cat=web&query=" to use ixquick for the urlbar-searches. It's no "I'm feeling lucky" though, so you might not like it.

That's what I can think of from the top of my head.