What MBP for FCS2?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Wheetman, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. Wheetman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #1
    Having long awaited the announcement for the new range of MBPros, I find myself a little confused with the options now available. Primarily, I want to switch to a MBP for editing video in FCS2. Am I better off getting the new 15" MBP or buying the refreshed 17"? Apart from the increased real estate in screen size, (My wife says that an extra 2" really can make all the difference!) what are the pros and cons with the graphics card and processor setups in each model? I am posting on this forum because I would really like advice from those among you who work mainly with video editing on the MBP. Will you be upgrading to either the 15" or 17" and if so, why?
     
  2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #2
    The new MBP will obviously be faster no matter what, but thats if you can deal with all of the glass on the screen.

    Plus if your willing to wait a bit longer, the 17" will be updated to the new style as well.
     
  3. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #3
    Do you know that for sure? :D there was no hint about this at yesterday's announcement and I was wondering why the simple 'refresh' if the intention is to bring out a 17" MBP in, let's say, January? Maybe Apple are just phasing out the 17" with a little bit of spit and polish to move the existing stock on.

    There is also no guarantee that there will be a matte/antiglare option on a new 17" unibond either. If the 17" footprint is not a high consideration would the current configuration of the new 15" be a satisfactory option for running FCS2 or is it anticipated that a unibond 17" MBP will bring with it an increase in performance beyond yesterday's line-up?
     
  4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #4
    Realistically I (and everyone else here) have no idea what Apple is going to do in the future. They could phase out the 17" or they could eventually adapt the new style, no one will know for sure until rumors start rolling in.

    With that being said it will have to come down to personal preference because both the "new" 15" MBP and the "old" 17" run FCS2 just fine. I currently run final cut on my 15" MBP but i would definably prefer a 17" (which will be my next notebook, when they release a quad core version) and some people want to trade in their 17" MBP's for the 15". It's whatever you want out of your notebook, portability / screen real estate. Although the "new" 15" MBP WILL run it faster because of a faster FSB and faster clock speed processors, which pretty much everything in final cut can benefit from. Motion will benefit as well because of the faster GPU.

    I really don't want to judge the new MBP now because i haven't seen it in person, so i can't say if the glossy screen is going to be a problem. I'm not biest towards matte either because my MBP has a glossy screen on it and i have no trouble with it at all, but a piece of glass between me and the LCD.... I'd have to see it in person to make a decision if i like it or not.

    If you want / need it now, get the new 15". If you can wait, then wait to see what's in store for the 17" down the road.
     
  5. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #5
    Thank you for your response,

    It was interesting to learn that you haven't experienced any problems with your current glossy screen. If quad-core is a realistic prospect for the MBP then I would be prepared to wait, but not that long - as I have been waiting a long time for yesterdays announcement and was rather dissapointed that the new design and GPU upgrades hadn't been incorporated into the 17" model, which would have been the ideal. Maybe once a few buyers of the new 15" MBP have had a chance to test out the improvements with the new GPU setup running with FCS2 they will post some comparisons.
     
  6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #6
    Well be prepared to wait even more because quad core isn't going to happen until nehalem is released, intel will release the server xeon processors first (which means the mac pro will get it first). then in late 2009 we should be seeing nehalem based MBP's
     
  7. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #7
    Yes, that's what I thought too. My current thinking is to wait until January to see if we get a redesigned 17" or at least a revised 15". The Mac Pro will be a must when it released with nehalem and I'll then hand over the older model to my wife when the nehalem MBP comes out. So I guess I shall have to wait a bit longer as I know that my good lady will appreciate the extra 2 inches.;)
     
  8. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2007
    #9

Share This Page