What MBP motherboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G.T., Jun 20, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I have a late 2008 2.4 uMBP. Now people say the higher 15" uMBP and 17" uMBP have a different motherboard. I would like people to post their uMBP model and what motherboard they have. Also I would be interested to see for the new 2009 range including the 13".

The 2 reasons I am curious is for that SATA debate, 1.5GB vs 3.0GB. The 2nd reason is the 8GB RAM issues. Apple sell 8GB for certain 15" models etc and 17" (do they actually work PROPERLY cause people who have tested 8GB have had problems or is that only for base model?).

If you go to system profiler and click Serial-ATA, it has nVidia and gives product name, I think this is my motherboard model nvidia mcp79 ahci (if not how would I find it).

2. qpid macrumors regular

I wouldn't think about moving logic board around because they are crazy expensive and it might be better just to buy the new model.

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry u missed my point, I have the 3.0GB and I'm not too worried about 8GB RAM I was just curious to see if the motherboards are different. Or could something else (firmware maybe) cause the difference.

4. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have any answers for my question or even curious themselves :p

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The CPU and GPU are surface-mounted, so of course the board is going to be different. Even if nothing else is the same, that alone would get you different part numbers, so it would be impossible to tell if anything else is different.

7. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know they are mounted but the CPU and GPU don't affect the RAM, is what I have the motherboard model? I was hoping someone with the uMBP 17" could post theirs. Although could they be the same and it is firmware that is limiting the RAM. Also someone with the 13" uMBP had posted they have the same motherboard as me but they only have 1.5GB SATA, I have 3.0GB SATA what is it that causes the difference in speed?

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

My point:

You are trying to find out if the RAM limit on the 2.4's is a hardware thing by comparing their mobo part #s with those of the higher-end models that DID support 8GB of RAM? Correct?

That's not going to work. Of course the boards will have different part #s, they have different CPUs and VRAM amounts soldered onto them. It's impossible to tell from this whether or not they have some difference that has an affect on the RAM.

9. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok I understand where ur coming from but I think I wasn't clear enough. I understand that comparing parts won't work, but I was asking for the actual motherboard number to compare with mine. I think where I confused u was about the SATA question, that was just a separate question. Like I say someone had a 13" pro with same motherboard and their SATA was only 1.5GB. Does that mean that the whole range of pros have the same model name in my case nvidia mcp79 ahci and just change the SATA port, or is there code built into the motherboard BIOS to limit it. If so I think I have my answer.

10. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a