What MBP stand/cooler to buy? HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xPAULx, Sep 12, 2010.

1. xPAULx macrumors member

xPAULx

Hey!
    Iv just ordered a 15" MBP i7 and I'm thinking of getting a cooling stand/lap stand for it.
    I would like one that I could use at a desk and also around the house (On the sofa etc)
    Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Paul :apple:

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. racketeer71 macrumors regular

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I would've thought the built-in fans would've done a decent enough job for this kind of thing but it's your choice :)

5. frankieboy macrumors regular

Laptop Cooler suggestion

I am using a Zalman NC-1000 with my Core i7 15" as I write this, and I have supplied several to my consulting customers, who rave about them.

I have tried others (Targus, many others), but they last a year or less, besides having a cheap plastic feel. The Zalman is very well-made, and very effective at reducing operating temperatures. Count on a substantial decrease in enclosure and CPU temperatures, and probably a longer battery life from avoiding the highest temperatures.

The Zalman cools best on a hard surface, because it vents out the bottom. It will not work as well on a lap or bed, although it will still provide some cooling. The surface that contacts the laptop is a large, thick sheet of laser-machined anodized aluminum, providing serious heat-sinking even if the fans aren't able to vent fully.

The last Zalman I got was from Newegg.com. Amazon.com has them too. There is also a larger model for the 17" Macbook Pro. They come in silver and black. They cost more than the plastic ones but are worth every penny to me.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

I use a 3 inch binder on my desk for a stand. Actually a 2.5 inch would be best, but I don't think they sell one. Cooler's are useless, it won't help at all and will make the desk noisy.

7. circularforward macrumors 6502

I also used a Zalman NC-1000 on my old dell laptop, and I too thought it was probably the best notebook cooler. Right now, I use a xtand pro for my i7 15" and feel the elevated bottom is enough.