What MBP to get ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoe91, Jul 7, 2016.

1. yoe91 macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I think it's about time to replace my mid-2010 MPB. Still works fine, but some issues here and there.
    Anyways, I don't want to spend a ton of money either (they can get pretty pricey !!) but I thought I'd get a modern MBP that's powerful, nice and smooth with HD stuff, to which I would add my 16GB RAMs.

I saw a 2015 Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, SSD 128 Go, Intel HD Graphics 6000 MBPro. If I throw in my 16GB, do you reckon it'd be worth it ? Would it be powerful enough or am I playing cheap ? I know i7 is better than i5...I want something around the 1000€/1200$ mark. Not much more. Could you give me a hand in making the right choice here ?
    Thank you.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If it's retina you can't throw your RAM in.

Are you sure it's 4GB I thought all the retinas got bumped to 8GB as standard

3. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

Oh... yeah it's 4GB alright. But as soon as you go i7 and 8GB RAM or more, the price immediately flies to the 2000€ + mark, which I think is a bit criminal for a laptop computer. I mean seriously, pretty sure you can get a few people killed for that price, not to be morbid or anything of course...

Has anyone got a viable solution for an individual willing to spend about 1200 $ bucks for a brand new MBP, or am I wasting your time here ?

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

Are we talking about a retina or non-retina macbook? The low memory makes me thing this is a non-retina macbook since the 2015 Retina MacBook Pro 13 had 8 GB of memory standard and 16 GB optional. If it is the non-retina, paying a 1000 Euro seems very high to me. That unit has not changed since 2012 and a 2012 non-retina MBP can be had for closer to $500 USD.

But, since you already have a 2010 13 MacBook Pro the change is of questionable value. The new unit has a faster SATA interface so the drives are a bit quicker, but in actual day to day usage it is just a slight bump in performance. Putting an SSD in you current system and maxing it's memory will make your current unit close to the performance of this system, and be a night and day change from a rotational drive based system.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm also confused about the specs you listed here. What you listed, if it's actually a 2015 model, sounds like a 11" MacBook Air.

Neither the retina MacBook Pro or MacBook Air have upgradeable RAM. Now, do you actually need 16GB of RAM? Most users would be fine with 8GB.

Don't worry about i5 vs i7. There isn't a huge difference in the dual core models that you'll find in the MacBook Air and 13" retina MacBook Pro. You'll be fine with either.

Does Apple sell refurbs where you live? Going that route would save you a few bucks. Is an education discount an option? You could go that way too.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That seems to be the specs for a MacBook Air not a MacBook Pro all the pros have come with 8gb of ram for years now.

Also both the airs and the pros come with soldered ram and not easily upgradeable ssd's so buy what you want for the foreseeable future now.

Lastly the MacBook pros are due an upgrade in the next few months so of you can manage to wait I would do so.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Nope. There are MacBook Pro 13 Retina with 4 GB RAM.

8. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

But those aren't the 2015 models, is that right? :p

9. TechZeke, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The OP has to be talking about a MacBook Air. 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, and HD 6000. If he's buying new from the Apple website, it'd definitely be an 11". More than likely it's a pre-8GB RAM standard 13" since the OP confused it with a rMBP.

Yes, the 13" rMBPs come standard with 8GB, and recently now the 13" Air. Yes, the base late-2013 13" rMBPs had 4GB of RAM.

But to answer the OP's question, the RAM is not upgradeable on either computers. If you really want 16GB, you will have go for the Pro as a built-to-order option. You can't get 16GB on a MacBook Air.

10. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys. Man, you're sharp ! I don't know, it's some description I read on amazon tbh. I could always find it back.

But if you don't mind, without getting into specifics, I'm interested in knowing basically: could I get something solid/fast/powerful without destroying my budget, for about 1000/1200€ ? I'm really basically looking for the practical side of Mac, but just something more adapted to the current HD-laden, 1080p era.
    And this might help, but I reiterate I've got 16GB RAMs - so perhaps the option of getting a more sophisticated, contemporary machine, but if it's got just 4 or 8GB, I would then replace with my own ?..

How important is the i5 vs i7 from your own personal experiences if you'll give me some info about that ?...

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The retina MacBook Pros are very nice and I believe they may fall in that price range.

Apple only sells one portable with upgradeable RAM. It's the 13" MacBook pro that was introduced in 2012. If you need a new MacBook that has upgradeable RAM, it's really your only option.

In dual core form that you'll find in most smaller laptops, there is very little difference between the i5 and i7 processors from the same family. My 13" 2015 retina MacBook Pro has the 3.1GHz i7 processor, and I should have just saved $200 and bought the 2.9GHz i5. It really wasn't worth the upgrade.

12. CE3 macrumors 6502a

13. jerryk macrumors 68020

Almost no importance for general computer. Very slight performance increase.

Stick an SSD and if you want, 16 GB of memory, in a unit like CE3 posted. You will end up with a fast system.

14. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

thx to all for your help, this is really valuable info. :)

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can't put any ram in any MacBook made since 2012, all ram has been soldered to the logic board since then, so all MacBook airs and retina MacBook pros will have to be bought with the ram you want it to have.

I7 will make no real difference they are all dual core CPUs and the performance difference is something like 3-5%.

If you want to use your own ram you will have to do without a retina screen and much of the benefits of modern machines including size weight and battery life, 4K support etc etc. You will also probably want to replace the HDD with an SSD, not the best use of your money in my opinion.

Which country are you in?? Apple refurbished is your best bet if it is available where you are.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, the ram in Apple's laptop models are soldered onto the logic board.

What is your intended usage, I'd say for the MBA, the i7 is not worth it, you'll not see a big improvement. I'm not sure its worth it in the MBP line but I suppose that depends on what you will be using the laptop. If you are looking to use office apps, surf the net and similar things, then the i5 is a better buy

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't think that is a 2015 model. Apple kept the non-retina around for a very long time. It was from 2012 and may have come with 4GB. Everymac suggests 8GB came with the default 2015 model. I also checked the refurbished section, but I can't find a 4GB model there either.

It sounds like an inaccurate description. I would be careful about who you purchase from and exactly which model is offered. You can't upgrade ram in any of the retina models.

18. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Nope. Late 2013 model.

19. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

I'm in France, but it's fine, don't worry about it I'm onto a different route now.
    THANKS ALL FOR YOUR VALUABLE INFO.