what MBP's are stock at Apple stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MAC~n~Cheese, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MAC~n~Cheese macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! I've been lurking these forums for about a week or two now.
    I've been looking into getting my first MBP in about a week. I've decided to go with the new 13" MBP (the one w/ 4g memory, 250gb hard drive, backlit keyboard). I'm curious as to what most Apple stores have in stock on a regular basis. I wont be upgrading much of it - the only thing is to maybe have iWork preinstalled. Other than that, it wont be upgraded. I also plan to use an education credit and get the free ipod touch (paying a little extra for 16gb). And just for informational purposes (not that you need to know this to answer my question...) but I just started grad school this summer and plan to take it with me to classes in August.

Does this sound like something they will have in stock? or should I order through the website?

Thanks! :D

2. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

They'll have it in stock at an Apple store, but not with iWork pre-installed. Course, you could just buy it and install it...
    They'll def. have the same stock models in the store as they have online, so they'll have the 4GB 500GB version in-store, too.

Just so ya know most people here recommend getting the base model and putting your own RAM and HD in there since it's about 1/2 the cost. Of course, that really depends on how comfortable you are with opening the computer yourself (but it's as easy as it can be).

3. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Today I went to get the same model and the store was very busy when I got mine cause of the iPhone 3G S. I wasn't sure they had it on stock but they did :p

4. MAC~n~Cheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. A really nice guy at Best Buy showed my bf and I how to open up the MBP and essentially, how to do it ourselves. I personally prob wouldn't be comfortable doing it - but i def know people that would be (...and that i trust.) Although with the high-end aluminum MBP, i'm happy with it's stock specs for now.

In the iWork section of the Apple site (when i attempt to configure my own), it only gives me the option of a $41 preinstalled iWork or preinstalled $69 family pack iWork. Will it not just let me buy it at the same price (or cheaper) and install it myself?

Ok, so i just went and searched for the iWork software by itself on the site. Shows list price as $79. So, it'd be cheaper for me to have Apple install it then to install it myself? That sounds backwards.

5. MAC~n~Cheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Were you able to get iWork preinstalled?

6. deanshu macrumors member

There's a promotion going on - if you buy a Mac with iWork you can get a mail in rebate for a certain amount. Check Apple's website for details.