What Media Player do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mefistos, Jul 19, 2015.

1. mefistos macrumors member

Hi guys, I am gettin pretty frustrated as I switched to OS X which I love, BUT when I am trying play videos from my NAS via VLC (on local network over wifi, important info same setup but on other computer running windows is without a single problem on any media player, actually on windows there are plenty of codecs available online) I get this kind of a thing http://i.imgur.com/kFERhXa.png ....
    since most of the videos I download are mkv I cant really use Quicktime... I tried also Mplayer but it kinda just started the app and nothing else happened...

So I wonder what other Media Players you use to play your HD videos? :)

PS: at this point I dont mind paying money for some Media Player if anyone can vouch for it...

2. lht0747 macrumors newbie

lht0747

I use Quicktime with perian installed so I can play all those formats like avi and the sort. I used to use VLC until I found perian.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Download and install the Perian codec suite at the following URL: http://www.perian.org/. With it installed, QuickTime X should automatically convert your .mkv file when you open them in the player. With Perian installed, QuickTime 7 will play your .mkv files directly. You may also download and install NicePlayer which plays all Perian-supported formats.

4. mefistos thread starter macrumors member

I am on 10.11 not sure if Perian works on El Capitan :/

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Did you attempt to install it?

6. mefistos thread starter macrumors member

I did right now.. its stuck on "converting" :/