What meets my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chihuahua1, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Chihuahua1 macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm a bit stumped. I'm 13, and I'm looking to buy a Mac.

My current computer is a refurbished Mac Mini that my dad bought for his company, but never needed. It'd be a great computer if Leopard wasn't neutered by SafeEyes.

My parents say that if I pay for the computer, they won't touch it. We struck a deal that while I was saving up for my computer, they'd match what I made (so they basically pay for half of it).

I'm trying to stay on a budget. I am reading a book on C and plan on extending to Objective-C and Cocoa. I'm also into Web development, and I'll be running Adobe CS4 when I make enough money for it.

Portability really isn't a necessity to me. I'd much rather have a desktop than a laptop, reason being that I can't get comfortable if I'm sitting on the couch with a laptop on my lap. I'm much more comfortable at a desk, so what would the point be in buying a laptop?

Right now I'm thinking about buying the refurbished iMac in the online Apple store that's at $999.00. I'd be paying for $499.50 and my parents would be paying for $499.50.

Does this seem like a good decision, or should I get something else, instead?

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

Do you need a new computer or do you just need to get rid of SafeEyes? It seems like the mini meets your current needs, so I would take SafeEyes off and use the mini until it can't do what you need it too anymore. By that time you'll have plenty of money saved up to get the computer and software you want.

But, if you absolutely need a new computer then the refurb iMac would be great.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Reinstall Leopard without your parents getting involved. This will remove any neutering software and give you a computer without paying for a new one. If you don't have the install DVDs, you can call AppleCare and have them send you new ones (for a small cost).

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just an FYI, the cheapest Mac you can find that's a G4 or later will do any of these things perfectly well. I also wouldn't bother with CS4 at the moment; if you're just learning you can get by perfectly well on freeware.

5. Chihuahua1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:What mets my needs?

SafeEyes can't be removed unless my dad does it, which he won't. He put SafeEyes on the Mini so I couldn't stay on more than 2 hours a day. But since it also neuters the OS, the Mac Mini is screwed.
    That wouldn't be a possibility. I would be surprised if my dad hid cameras by the Mac Mini. He's always staring over my shoulder. I don't mind him knowing what I'm up to, he's just being a good dad. What bugs me is that he needs to install software to do his job for him, and that (like I said before) neuters the OS.

He would find out if I reinstalled Leopard, and I don't want to break any of his rules.
    I want to be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out, and it's going to be Intel-only.

I know my way around Web development, and I think I'm ready to tackle CS4, or at least Photoshop and Dreamweaver. It's programming that I'm still a newbie in.

The Mac Mini is out-of-the-question since I don't have a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse (my brother also uses our current Mini).

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Since you don't need another Mac Mini or portability, get the low-end iMac.