What memory configuration does my old MBP have?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doktordoris, May 30, 2010.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hullo,
    I have an old uMBP that I bought half way through April. Yes I know I should have waited a week for the update, but I am not the waiting kind!

What I want to know is how many dimm slots does my MBP have? I am thinking about updating the 4g but does that mean I have to throw my present dimms away, or are there spare slots?

I know I could answer my question by getting a screw driver out, but I would rather leave that sort of thing until I have to do it.

Ta

DOris
    http://web.me.com/doktordoris/Site/

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Sorry, no spare slots. Only 2 are there. You need to buy your memory modules in pairs and Apple recommends that they are equal in size.

3. striker9 macrumors member

All the mbp's come with 2 memory slots. If it came with 2 gigs of ram, then you got 2 x 1gb cards. You'll need to replace them with 2 x 2gb cards.

4. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Ah okay, thanks.
    So Ill have to dispose of 2 2g dimms when I buy 2 4g dimms.

Are they just normal 1066mhz DDR3 dimms like people have in modern desktop PCs?

I ask because I would like to know that I could sell or give them away to someone who wold find them useful.

doris

And do I want buffered or unbuffered?

Actually could any english MR users please just point me to the cheapest/best place to buy my new memory?

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Your laptop uses DDR3 SODIMMs, which is laptop-specific memory. Normal DIMMs for desktops will not fit.

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Macs use the same components that regular pcs use. Go to macsales.com, you can enter your Mac model and they'll tell you what ram is compatible with it (well of what they sell anyway). You can always take your ram out and google the model number that is on the chip.