What memory is definitly going to work?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ddpid, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ddpid macrumors newbie

I just bought a new mid 2011 model mac mini at its baseline to be used as a primary machine until i get an "ultimate" iMac. (don't ask:))
    Any way i was wondering what ram will, with out a doubt, work in my mac.
    I looked at apple but $400(love you apple but no thanks)
    looked at amazon found a few choices. (definitely under $400)

Please give me a tried and true answer if you can- that is you are someone you know used that ram in this model mac mini, thanks.:apple:

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Go to

Crucial.com or macsales.com

Look up your system and place your order.

3. ddpid thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks!
    Nice to get fast and reliable answers. Macrumors rules!

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Amazon has a Crucial 8GB set (2x4GB) on sale for $50 right now! I was like holy crap when I found that. Plus there's a $10 rebate on top of that. HERE is the link.

5. Sdevante macrumors 6502

That's actually Corsair, not Crucial, but that is the set I ordered and I've had no problems with it for over a week now.

6. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I purchase this exact same Corsair memory also for my mini and have no issues at all.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Owc

NEVER-EVER had a problem with Ram or SSD's for that matter!:cool:

8. mikochu macrumors member

Yesterday, I received my Corsair 8GB kit from Amazon and ran memtest overnight without a hitch. Today, I'm having the system run another a 255 sequence memtest while I'm at work. I hope all goes well.

9. indg macrumors 6502

any ddr3-pc10666 1333mhz unbufferred CL9 204-pin SO-DIMM at 1.5v will work. those are the specs, up to you which brand you buy (crucial, corsair, gskill, patriot, kingston, samsung, etc.). 8gb can be found for $40-$50.

10. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

That lifetime warranty on the RAM aint to shabby either right?

11. rshanahan, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

rshanahan macrumors regular

Just installed the Corsair this morning (I got mine from newegg for 45 w/10 rebate, 35 aint too bad). Running tests now but I believe it will be fine.

EDIT, failed on 1st pass will try again, reseat, might have to send back, oh no!

12. ricardoflamingo macrumors member

I had to send my 8gig of Corsair back to Amazon. Ordered some Crucial, I hope that works.

13. FluffyPop macrumors member

I wanted to get Corsair RAM but since many people seem to have problems with it, I ordered Crucial instead. Works great :)

14. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

+1 for Crucial memory. I've had 8Gb of Crucial memory in my 2010 MBP since December and not one problem :) Also 8Gb of Crucial memory in my 2011 Mac mini and again not a single problem in a month :) Highly recommended.

15. littlezipp macrumors newbie

Frys 8GB on sale now

$39.99 after rebate - I picked this up to put into my new mini i5 2.5 and working great! These are 1600mhz modules and OSx is running them at full speed. :)
    Once my second HD cable gets here this little monster will be running Raid 0 Force GT's and silent. Speed with the single 120gb GT is amazing!

16. rshanahan macrumors regular

Well, after testing I determined that one dimm was bad. The other was fine (I even ran test on the original ram to make sure the machine was sound). To save on a potential restocking fee, I have rma'd my set and will try a second. If that doesn't work, I'll go to crucial and try this 8gb in my 2010 mini, it might behave better on a 1066 bus.

I haven't had any issues with non-apple or crucial memory in any of my Macs, this is the 1st time.

17. rshanahan macrumors regular

Good news, I received the replacement Corsair memory and it works just fine. I just got a defective stick in my package. :eek: That didn't sound very good. Shall I rephrase. I just had a bad Dimm in my upgrade kit. :p

18. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I'm definitely another for crucial ram. I haven't had one problem. 8gb is cheap right now.

19. mrdctaylor macrumors member

mrdctaylor