What memory to buy for New MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fahqu001, Nov 15, 2008.

1. fahqu001 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MacBook Pro, and I'm wanting to upgrade my memory from 2GB to 4GB (I read somewhere these new machines can add up to 8GB, but only recognize 4GB?). So, my question(s) is, what type do I need, what brand should I buy and where's the cheapest to buy it? I'm a brand new Mac owner and have never been the most computer savvy anyway, so pardon my ignorance.

2. csrx macrumors member

I've read in a few forums about ram problems with the new macbook pros. I haven't read any complaints from people who bought the 4 gig kit from ramjet. Give those a shot or get it done through Apple.

3. foodle macrumors 6502

Crucial has never steered me wrong. Just enter which machine you have and the site will tell you which modules to order.

www.crucial.com

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You want to buy a pair of 2GB DDR3 1066Mhz SO-DIMMs. Avoid RAM that specifies running at voltages above 1.5v, or timings below 7-7-7-20. High performance RAM is nothing but trouble, IMO. Good brands are Crucial, OCZ, and Corsair.

5. csrx macrumors member

Don't buy any crucial, ocz, corsair ram before reading the "New Late 2008 Macbook Pro Memory Upgrade Problem" thread.

6. fahqu001 thread starter macrumors newbie