Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfaninpdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
One of my 40GB AppleTVs started behaving erratically. I am fairly certain it has something to do with getting too hot. If it has been unplugged for a while it will work normally, as expected. But after it has been on for maybe an hour or so I start getting strange artifacts in the video (looks like tearing, or little glitches in the menus and such), and soon after it will lock up. A restart won't help - only unplugging it for a couple of hours to cool off. It gets very warm (hot?) to the touch - but this is difficult to quantify.

To preempt some questions: it has never been opened or modified or hacked. It is sitting on an exposed shelf (not in a cabinet) and it is not on top of or near any other devices. I have also tried it in two different rooms on two different TVs.

So my first thought might me a fan of some sort not functioning, but does it even have a fan? Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be?

kstswe

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
i got the same problem with the 40 GB.

get kind of strange video behaviour.

white pixels randomly etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.