Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I bought a Panasonic GS-120 about a year ago because it was the least expensive miniDV camcorder that has 3 CCD sensors - which means it has great picture quality and color reproduction. It also works perfectly with iMovie/Final Cut.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
atari1356 said:
I bought a Panasonic GS-120 about a year ago because it was the least expensive miniDV camcorder that has 3 CCD sensors - which means it has great picture quality and color reproduction. It also works perfectly with iMovie/Final Cut.

Having 3 CCDs won't affect image detail, it will just effect color reproduction. And w/consumer cameras the typical trade off is having 1 1/4" CCD vs 3 1/6" CCDs. In this example the 1 CCD camera will have better image detail (bigger chip) and the 3 CCD camera will have better color reproduction (all other things being equal of course).

Lethal

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
LethalWolfe said:
Having 3 CCDs won't affect image detail, it will just effect color reproduction.

He didnt say that 3 CCDs affect image detail. He said it affects quality. Read carefully ;)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
eXan said:
He didnt say that 3 CCDs affect image detail. He said it affects quality. Read carefully ;)
He said "great picture quality and color reproduction." Three CCDs will give you color reproduction but will they give you better "picture quality" where quality is referring to something other than color? We should all read carefully (me too).

I have a Panasonic Palmcorder that's 3 years old and no longer made. It was an agonizing decision because no single model jumped out as the clear winner. I picked the Palmcorder for its size, optics, optical zoom length, image stabilizer (alas it has electronic stabilization, not optical), low-light capability, etc. At the time it had great specs...and I'm happy to say it has worked flawlessly.

But now it's time for HD if only there were models in the $1200 range or below. I can just imagine my own HD-quality movies. I travel a lot and a compact size, high-definition camcorder might just be video nirvana.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
eXan said:

Congratulations. In trying to be a smart@ss you came off as a dumb@ss.

I'm going to work under the assumption that you read and comprehended ksz's post so there's no point in me repeating what's already been said.

atari1356's post is a common misunderstanding in regards to 3 CCD vs. 1 CCD cameras and I just wanted to clear it up.

If you have anything useful to add to the thread be my guest, but it's really irritating and rude to have someone come in and do nothing but act like a d*ck towards posters that are actually contributing.

Lethal

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
SpaceMagic said:
I think I want a Sony Handicam, but don't want to be paying for the name... i've heard though, that Sony are quality.
I bought a Sony PC109E last year and I'm really happy with it. Very small (easily fits in your jacket pocket) but great picture quality and features. My main reason for choosing it was the 1mp ccd that allows shooting in true 16:9 widescreen. Everything looks cooler in widescreen. DV-in was a plus too.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Panasonic DVX100a. Why? 24p. 24p, 24p, 24p!!!!!! Great gamma controls, produces images that manage to look unlike all other DV video.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
atari1356's post is a common misunderstanding in regards to 3 CCD vs. 1 CCD cameras and I just wanted to clear it up.

With all due respect... I didn't misunderstand anything. In my view, color reproduction is a large part of image quality.

You make the argument that 1CCD cameras generally have larger sensors, so have more detailed images... which may be a valid argument, but that doesn't mean that the overall image quality of those video cameras are better than a 3CCD camera.

... and obviously there are other factors involved that affect image quality like the lens and the cameras internal processing of the video... so really debating about the merits of 1 larger CDD versus 3 slightly smaller CCD's is futile. Ultimately you have to just try different video cameras out to see which you like better. I like the Panasonic GS-120.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
For personal use, I bought a Panasonic PV-GS19 for around $300 on sale @ Circuit City. It's only 1 chip, a basic model, but is miniDV and I figured if my 7-year-old dropped it or I ruined it at the beach, it would be a less heart-breaking loss than, say, a GS-120 or DVX-100A.

I do have access to other camcorders for taping "real" events, like an XL-1 and GS-120, so I have lots of options for now. I'm just going to have a hard time controlling my impulses when the AG-HVX200 comes out...

If you're asking because you're in the market for a camcorder, good luck!

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
I just bought a Sony DCR-HC90 last week. So far it has worked perfectly with iLife '05, but I did have to upgrade from '04 for widescreen support.

I would try to play with a Sony in the store before buying, as the touch screen control is not for everyone. But as far as picture quality and ease of use, I think it's outstanding, but I'm not one to play with manual settings much.

Oh, and why I bought it, I'm a sony wh*re :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
atari1356 said:
With all due respect... I didn't misunderstand anything. In my view, color reproduction is a large part of image quality.

When you specifically mentioned color reproduction and image quality separately I thought you were talking about two different things (image detail and color quality). I apologize for not realizing you were just repeating yourself.

You make the argument that 1CCD cameras generally have larger sensors, so have more detailed images... which may be a valid argument
but that doesn't mean that the overall image quality of those video cameras are better than a 3CCD camera.
Did I say overall image quality? No. I said image detail.

... and obviously there are other factors involved that affect image quality like the lens and the cameras internal processing of the video...
Which is why I said, "...all other things being equal..."

so really debating about the merits of 1 larger CDD versus 3 slightly smaller CCD's is futile.
Who's debating? I'm talking about facts. CCD size matters.

I like the Panasonic GS-120.

That's great. I'm not dogin' your camera. You don't need to defend your purchase.

I was just addressing a common misunderstanding regarding consumer cameras. 3CCD cameras aren't hands down better than 1CCD cameras, there is a trade off. Whether it matters or not is up to the individual, but it's still there, and I'm just trying to help people make an informed decision.

Lethal

Militar

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2005
I bought a Canon GL1. The 3 CCDs make video images appear so much more lifelike and with great low light performance. I am very happy with my GL1.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
roadapple said:
I would try to play with a Sony in the store before buying, as the touch screen control is not for everyone. But as far as picture quality and ease of use, I think it's outstanding, but I'm not one to play with manual settings much.

Oh, and why I bought it, I'm a sony wh*re :D

I used to be a Sony wh*re as well, but you're right, the touch screen controls are not for everyone. They make sense on a PDA, but encouraging people to touch the LCD on camcorders just doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

Also I'm not too sold on the HDV format myself (which Sony's a part of), but that's just from what I've read, I haven't seen it yet. The DVCPRO HD format sounds like the way to go, but I guess you get what you pay for.

On another note, I'm beginning to feel like I'm in a political forum, what with all the acrimony here... ;) Is July 5th that crappy for everyone?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sony DCR-HC21 about a month ago...bought it because it was free...racked up a bunch of points on the SonyCard over the years and decided it was time to redeem some of them.

Plays well with iLife '05 so far. I didn't go for the 32 or 42 because I had no interest in low quality still image features (that's what real digital cameras are for) or the docking station (I'd rather carry around some cables and connect directly).

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
atari1356 said:

Same here, although don't flame me on the debate. I got it because at the time it seemed to offer the best value for the money. No problems--works with iMovie as it should.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
2jaded2care said:
Also I'm not too sold on the HDV format myself (which Sony's a part of), but that's just from what I've read, I haven't seen it yet. The DVCPRO HD format sounds like the way to go, but I guess you get what you pay for.

For pro use I'm of the same mind, but for personal/consumer use I think HDV will be great.

Lethal

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I have a Canon Elura that I bought over 5 years ago. MiniDV just coming out, and one of the first consumer camera's with FireWire.

Still working good. I've yet to use the firewire as I'm not going to do video editing till I get a Mac. Hopefully soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.