What MM to choose? I7 2.0 refurbished or current i5?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Jairovich, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Jairovich macrumors newbie

Hello everybody! it has been a while reading your experiences around and doing some research... now it is the time to choose my MM! :)

What would you guys be choosing from (best price/performance):

A) MM i7 2.0 2011 Server 4GB 1TB (refurbished) @699
    B) MM i5 2.5 2013 4GB 500 GB @ 649

both units are from the official apple store in my country at the current prices.

Thanks a lot!!!!

2. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

The 2011. It's AMD graphics card can support HDMI monitors better than any 2012.

My 2.5 2011 always has two monitors and often three connected to it.

2012 MM's have had an issue with the HDMI port.

Good luck!

P.S. the 2012 DOES support USB 3.0 - so if you do MASSIVE amounts of data storage via USB, the 3.0 equipped 2012 may be better for you.

3. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

The i5 is a typical 2013 unit for a good price. I like that i7 because of the processor and doubled storage capacity. However, the i7 is an older version that has been refurbished. As QWERTYMac7 mentioned, the USB 3.0 ports on the newer machine would allow you to use massive amounts of inexpensive fast storage if you need it.

That prompts the primary question, what do you intend to do with the machine? Many folks are completely satisfied using 2012 i5 and i7 Mac minis with integrated Intel graphics. I am content with the HD 4000 video on my 2012 i7 model because it handles my video and photo workload fine. Handbrake is one example of video software that runs great on the newest Intel Quad core machines. On the other hand, if you are a video professional who needs a workstation that can handle the more taxing features in Final Cut Pro and other professional programs, then the older 2011 MM could provide an advantage.

I can’t provide much input on that HDMI issue that QWERTYMac7 referred to. This late 2012 Mac mini has been running two monitors from the beginning. It always winks the display once when I turn on the HDTV but that doesn’t seem like a problem. Things did get a little freaky when I installed Mavericks, but I resolved that issue by completing the process with only one monitor attached. Once I had the new version of OS X installed and running, I reconnected the big screen and the system has been fine ever since. In the end, I did not consider that stumble an HDMI problem. I just figured that installing an OS upgrade with two monitors attached provided an unnecessary challenge to the installation program. In other words, although “2012 MM’s(sic) have had an issue with the HDMI port”, I cannot be certain that any of the initial HDMI problems have persisted through an entire year of OS X updates and the Mavericks roll out.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

The HDMI issues on the 2012 Minis have been resolved some time ago. I find the native USB 3.0 capability to be tremendously valuable. Also, the 2.0 quad core i7 Mini from 2011 has only integrated graphics, which are inferior to the integrated graphics in the 2012.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

according to who? you ? look at the apple website official forum page. its got new posts every day with the issue which is still there.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I would say according to these forums which include mostly members with a fairly technical background. Threads with hdmi issues on the 2012s have virtually dried up. I have a 2012 with 0 issues with the Hdmi port and I use it everyday.

Frankly I find the Apple support forums to be filled mostly with people who couldn't find their way out of a paperbag and really only spend their days on Facebook and Twitter. But hey, maybe I'm the wrong one?

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Going back 2 weeks in the Apple discussion for the mini, there are no posts about general "HDMI issues". You must have the link, post it here.

8. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

2012 i5!

Ah yes, thanks for those corrections chrfr! There is no AMD graphics card after all. Perhaps Jairovich will have a simpler choice now. The 2012 i5 has several advantages over the older i7.

My preference is for the i5 but I still wonder what the OP plans to do with this machine.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Same. I have no issues with a 2012 Mini which is connected to a Dell U2410 display via HDMI.

10. Jairovich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your replies! Actually, for my needs both systems are more than enough (considering I could be upgrading the RAM int he future). I was trying to find out what is the best option (only in price terms), or, which MM will be having a highest reselling value in the future....

Thanks!

11. chrfr macrumors 603

Unfortunately, there's no clear answer to those questions.

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

Typically wrt the iPad, the entry level iPad has the better resale value because they are the most popular. When it comes to the MM, all models sellout real fast so they all hold their value.

13. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

FWIW, I have a mid 2011 mini, base with the 2.3 i5, personally upgraded to 8GB of RAM, SSD as primary OS drive and Windows Drive, stock 500GB as second drive, and it doesn't flinch at most things I throw at it. Converting movies, audio, running Win7 in Boot Camp. Hardly ever do I hear the fans run. No HDMI issues, but not sure if that affected the 2011 models. If you can find one of these on the cheap, you would be sitting pretty.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

One of the problems was HDMI screen flickering and that pertained to the late 2012 models. Apple issued a firmware update for that. All new MM's that are being sold will have this fix.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...mini-hdmi-flicker-issues-with-software-update

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Thanks a lot for your replies! Actually, for my needs both systems are more than enough (considering I could be upgrading the RAM int he future). I was trying to find out what is the best option (only in price terms) ]]

In my opinion, the "late 2012" is the way to go.

It has USB3, which is the biggest technological improvement in Macs in years.

USB2 (on the 2011) will saddle you with an obsolete connection technology -- it will be "a millstone around the Mini's neck", so to speak.

And I think it's worth paying extra for the i7 CPU, too.

16. Acorn, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

there is a thread 1 day old in the display thread about bad picture quality. if you read this they are connected via hdmi.

despite the snow screen thread is two weeks old since a recent post there is no solution. people in that thread still have the issue. the issue doesnt magically disappear if there is no solution just because no one posted. or are you simply saying that because it is 2 weeks old it was fixed. in which case show me the solution that works for everyone. its the same as its always been. some people have the issue some people it went away. there is no actual fix for everyone

17. chrfr macrumors 603

Post the links.

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

19. hudson1 macrumors 6502

You are misrepresenting the issue by not including the fact that the problem only occurs with televisions, not computer monitors. Whether it shows up on many televisions or just a few, I don't know.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

And it could also be a HDTV issue, why? My Playstation 3 does similar stuff like snowy screen, flickering screen. I put my PS3 on another HDTV and the problem goes away.

21. SoCalReviews, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

I also had snow, flicker and video lockup related issues with my PS3 (original 2006-2007 60GB model) when connected via HDMI to an older Sony 32" CRT HDTV (2004-2005 model). The problem disappeared when I plugged it into a newer 2012 46" Samsung LED HDTV. I have not had any issues with my 2011 base model Mac Mini with HD3000 graphics when plugged into a smaller 23" Samsung LED Monitor/HDTV via HDMI cable. I also am using the 2.3Ghz i7 late 2012 MM model as well.

The HDMI digital interconnect standard was developed to help simplify, unify and secure digital video and audio content between devices and displays. Unfortunately because of firmware bugs, synch problems and improper implementation by some device manufacturers there have been instances of HDMI related compatibility issues between different models of TVs and video output devices.

As far as the two choices are concerned I would probably lean towards the new late 2012 version (sold as new in 2013) of the i5 MM but it would be a close decision. I do like the 1TB HD and the quad core features of the i7 2011 server but I like the faster CPU clock and updated HD4000 graphics of the newer i5. Upgrade the RAM to 8GB (2 x 4GB) or 16GB (2 x 8GB) for either one and you would have powerful little Mini for your desktop.