What model Intel processor does the new Macbook 2.0Ghz use?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahrenba, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ahrenba macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I just purchased the new 2.0Ghz MacBook. What is the model number or name of the intel core 2 duo processor that it is using?

It has 3MB L2 cache and 1066mhz frontside bus.

Thanks!

Also, how do you guys think this processor will stack up against the old 2.4Ghz 800mhz, 3MB L2 processor.

I was a little afraid about going down to 2.0ghz. What do you think?

2. Expired macrumors newbie

I believe the model number is the new Centrino 2 P7350 processor. I really wish they put the P8400 (2.26GHz) processor in the base model. Would have made more sense and been more appealing to me.

3. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

What do you think the performance will be compared to the old 2.1ghz and 2.4ghz chips? Relatively the same?

4. brettinlj macrumors member

I've been asking that question on another thread and haven't got any good response yet. Even a search on Anandtech was to no avail.

I'm sure there is a good advantage for the 800Mhz FSB 2.1Ghz, but I'm really trying to get a handle on the 2.4Ghz 800Mhz vs. the 2.0Ghz 1066Mhz.

5. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have any insight into this processor performance comparison question?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably slower.

7. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

How noticeable do you think a difference will be between the new 2ghz and old 2.4ghz chips?

Are there any benchmarks for that new 2ghz chip yet? Can someone else confirm if that is the right model number?

8. makowb macrumors member

Centrino 2 is a chipset, not a processor. It's (centrino 2) codename is montevina and is not used in the new macbooks or pros. The processor is a penryn-based processor designed for use with centrino 2 (or montevina). It is the p7350, but it is just a core 2 duo p7350, not centrino 2.

Also, I would assume they'll be about the same speed as the 2.1 just because of the bus speed and faster RAM, as for the 2.4, it will almost assuredly be slower, but not very noticeable for what you'll need to do w/a macbook.

9. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Ok, but will there be a noticeable performance loss using the new 2.0 vs the old 2.4 in normal applications or will it only be noticeable in renderings, etc?

10. qsoundrich macrumors member

I seriously doubt you'll notice anything slower about it. The video upgrades will far outweigh the few flops you're losing in the processor itself. GHz isn't the most important indicator of computer performance, unless you're doing a lot of math computations.

11. makowb macrumors member

Even comparing the old 2.1 against the 2.4, the difference was like 2-3 FPS when playing games and 1-2 seconds (out of 30) when doing anything like mp3 encoding. Do not worry, you won't be able to notice it unless you really try. You bought (imo) the best deal released today.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Dude, I have a 2.16ghz macbook pro, it's about a year and a half old now, and I still don't notice any lag due to the processor being too slow.

As far as I'm concerned, the CPU's these days are just so powerful that even the slowest one that you can get today is more then adequate for 95% of what most people use them for.

13. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

[/thread]