Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I want to be prepared if I would ever need to hook my MBP to a second monitor or a projector. So what do I need?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the cable that came with ur mbp will allow you to connect to analogue projectors (VGA) and if its a digital (DVI) you dont need any cables, just goes straight into your mbp.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
the cable that came with ur mbp will allow you to connect to analogue projectors (VGA) and if its a digital (DVI) you dont need any cables, just goes straight into your mbp.

That would assume the monitor or projector has an associated cable in the first place. As I said I want to be prepared. That means I'm also prepared for there not beeing cables whatsoever on location. So I still need a DVI and a VGA cable to cover both cases.

My question is what type of DVI cable I need. DVI-I or DVI-D? Dual or single linked? And how common is HDMI?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the monitor will already have a cable associated with it.. unless no1 has scabbed it. for projectors alot of the cables are VGA, you already haev a dvi-d to vga connector so thats easy. if its a dvi-i or dvi-d cable your fine aswell. you might need to get the hdmi connector and cable tho.

it might be good to get the dvi-d connector, it is backwards compatible to dvi-i i THINK:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.