What monitor cables should I get for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captan, Jul 8, 2007.

1. captan macrumors member

I want to be prepared if I would ever need to hook my MBP to a second monitor or a projector. So what do I need?

2. Shrek6446 macrumors member

I would recommend a DVI to DVI cable for a monitor and a DVI-HDMI for a projector

You should check out monoprice.com they have great prices and great quality for both types of cables.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the cable that came with ur mbp will allow you to connect to analogue projectors (VGA) and if its a digital (DVI) you dont need any cables, just goes straight into your mbp.

4. captan thread starter macrumors member

That would assume the monitor or projector has an associated cable in the first place. As I said I want to be prepared. That means I'm also prepared for there not beeing cables whatsoever on location. So I still need a DVI and a VGA cable to cover both cases.

My question is what type of DVI cable I need. DVI-I or DVI-D? Dual or single linked? And how common is HDMI?

5. Jestered macrumors 6502

HDMI is very common. Especially if you ever want to connect the computer to an HD TV.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the monitor will already have a cable associated with it.. unless no1 has scabbed it. for projectors alot of the cables are VGA, you already haev a dvi-d to vga connector so thats easy. if its a dvi-i or dvi-d cable your fine aswell. you might need to get the hdmi connector and cable tho.

it might be good to get the dvi-d connector, it is backwards compatible to dvi-i i THINK:confused: