What monitor for nMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by keithop, Jun 12, 2014.

1. keithop macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    OK well I hummed and harred about the nMP order so long that it's now being despatched so I guess I'm getting one :eek:

Question is coming from an imac, I need to think of a good monitor setup. At the moment I use 27" imac with an old 17" dell monitor to the right of it for web pages.

I guess I could go a couple of apple 27" thunderbolts? or is there a better 3rd party equivalent?

Of course REALLY I want a 4k but I'm pretty confused now if ANY of them work reliably in 60hz mode? :/

Any recommendations?
  2. MCAsan macrumors 601

Jul 9, 2012
  3. keithop thread starter macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    Well I don't know, I've never had either of them :) which is why I was wondering if from peoples' experiences those were undeniably the best ones to get or if there were some better alternatives :)
  4. MCAsan macrumors 601

Jul 9, 2012
    Love my ATD connected to my rMBP.

There is a chance at the fall product release we may see a Retina ATD with TB2, USB 3. So I would go lowball for a monitor until the fall.
  5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    According to Apple, these 4K displays will work at 60Hz on the new Mac Pro:
    Sharp PN-K321
    ASUS PQ321Q
    Dell UP2414Q and UP3214Q
    Panasonic TC-L65WT600
  6. Mums Suspended

Oct 4, 2011
    The Sony Store rep here in UK told me Sony is releasing a spate of new 4K monitors starting at £1,600. That's too expensive for me, but I'm glad to know Sony is pushing the envelope. I wish Apple would get on the ball releasing a 4K display, because the ones on the market right now are plasticy and way overpriced.
  7. MattZani macrumors 68030

Apr 20, 2008
    I'd go for the LG 34UM95, 34" 21:9 screen, 3660x1440 IIRC, cheapest setup which has a good IPS panel, decent connectivity, good screen real estate, and doesn't have the issue 4k monitors currently do with UI's and HiDPI modes etc.
  8. Sylonien macrumors regular

May 21, 2011
    But there's quality issue.
    Mine arrived after waiting for months, only to find it clicking/ticking
    like a static discharge noise.

And there's been another thread on here,
    where someones arrived DOA with a pink jelly blob like artefact on screen.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1752544 <- DOA

I'm bit concerned to purchase another one at the moment.