Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I'll be purchasing a new PowerMac soon and I don't want to spend $1200 on a 20" Apple Display.

I don't want to spend more than $700, and given that price I think my only options are CRTs, which is fine because I need something that is AT LEAST 20".

Anyone have some recommendations or can point me in the direction of some buying guides for monitors?

I do heavy graphics (non-3d), and I want something that is super-sharp and is very hi-res capable.

I've been told to look into LaCie monitors....

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
I do a lot of graphics and photo color and image manipulation and I do it fine on my 17' Apple LCD.

Try this - put an older 20' Apple CRT (or any good quality CRT) next to a new Apple LCD - there will be only one choice.

aggro

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2003
Chicago
If you are into graphics and want a super-sharp picture, I would definitely recommend spending the extra few bucks and getting a 23" cinema screen.

I have one and it is the BEST purchase that I have ever made.

I even went out and bought another so I have to Apple flats for extra viewing area.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
you cant go wrong with either

Originally posted by aggro
If you are into graphics and want a super-sharp picture, I would definitely recommend spending the extra few bucks and getting a 23" cinema screen.

I have one and it is the BEST purchase that I have ever made.

I even went out and bought another so I have to Apple flats for extra viewing area.
for me a 21 trinitron based or diamondtron based with 20 viewable and over 2000x1500 res at 85hz would be your best bet new with 3 year warranty or refurbished with 1
no dead pixels. no stuck pixels, same color from any angle or section of screen clear at all resolutions from 640x480 and up (no native)
absolutely no ghosting on any fast motion games or dvds
durable you cant harm them with a pencil harder to steal, lcds are easy
better color consistensy, every review acknowledges this.
cheaper 250-750 except for the hooded calibrated best, like lacie and sonys top artisen and some digital input crts. even the monitor makers say crt or better for color critical work
now the bad parts not as easy on the eyes very big, uses more energy not cool looking not as bright or clear looking except fot the new superbright ones
actually you cant go wrong with either just get a good name brand with a good warranty and track record choose how many pixels you need and get that if you need 1920x1200 or above then crt is your only choice inthe under$500 range if you are comfortable with 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 then you can find lcds from $400-$1000 with that if you must have 20" viewable then crt may be your best or only choice
the best bet is to get the best you can get at your price. or to get a great crt this year and a great lcd next year when the prices are lower, just think 23" cinema for $1299 to go along with your 22" crt next to your G5

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by Eple
Also. a 19" LCD is about the same siza as an 20/21" CRT
most 21" moniors have 20" viewable. some 19.8 thats a full inch more, not only that, most lcd 19 only do 1280x1024, some 1600x1200 i think, top native while the 21" crt does 2036X1546, almost twice with a smaller .24 dot pitch, faster response time. which is great for photo shop and final cut, crts also have the ability to scale to any resolution without losing clarity and when properly calibrated are almost as clear looking as lcds.
i am using a 3 year old trinitron crt 20" viewable bought refurb for under $300 it was the best display i ever had, cause i change resolution alot and at that time lcds were not quite as good as now. i do plan to add a lcd maybe 17-20 to it next year. for a two monitor setup. i expect the crt has another 3 years in it. my sony tv is from 89 and still going strong that may get a dlp update next year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.