What monitors to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EmbraceNext, Jul 29, 2011.

1. EmbraceNext macrumors member

I did a google search for best monitors, found articles from 2009 so not really sure on them. So I want to ask all of you. My Dell 2007fps are about done. Need to get new monitors. I run a dual monitor setup with my MacPro. I don't play too many games anymore. I dabble in webdev, graphics, video, coding, managing many windows networks remotely, watching podcasts, having 12 VMs open at once and a few other things.

Here is a limitation. Right now I am using 1600x1200 monitors. I can't for the life of me figure out why 1920x1080 is becoming a popular choice. I do not want to lose any vertical pixels. So my minimum resolution has to be 1200 tall. Budget is $1000 per monitor.

Also any links to recent reviews would be awesome.

Thank you very much in advance for helping with this.

Mark

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If you want it to be nice and simple then pick up a pair of Dell U2410 displays. They use high-end panels and are a decent price. You'll find plenty of reviews of them out there and on this very forum.

Trusted Reviews, CNET and a 150 page thread on it packed with information (check towards the end pages for current deals or how to get them for under $500 each).

This is a list of high-end displays:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

1920x1080 is popular because of price - with both manufacturers and consumers.

3. vpoms macrumors member

I have U2711 and U2311, both connected to my PC, I also connect my MacBook Pro 13" to U2711 with Display port cable using miniDP to DP adapter from Monoprice, and switch input to use my MacBook. Both displays are great: great color, text has amazing clarity. I use it for 3D modeling and design. Dell has regular sales on displays; I got U2711 for $824, free shipping, plus tax. I was debating between ACD and Dell U2711. Del has adjustable tilt and height and since I have to use it with both PC and MacBook Pro, I went with Dell. I am very happy with my decision, no regrets whatsoever.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

If my requirements were only 1200px high, I would look into HPs "Performance" 24" options as their 1920*1200 and are really nice to work with (Although if you can afford $2000 to spend on displays, you might be better off with a pair of U2711s) - and given your budget I would get 3, and then either run them as Duals with a spare (For the inevitable break), or just run it as a "super-wide" configuration. (More screen space is always useful with VMs)

Personally for a relatively similar usage (Im a Software Developer and Video/Audio Nerd, so I spend most of my time in VMs for testing, or in Final Cut/Logic Studio), I actually went down a slightly different path, and got a single large monitor (27" Cinema at 2560*1440) which gives me plenty of workspace for my current task, and Ive flanked it with 2 17" 1280*1024 displays (soon to be replaced with 22" 1920*1080 models - cheap, and provide plenty of height for "secondary" things), which I use to stick VMs on, as well as email, IM Clients, Word Processing, Manuals, Web pages etc etc - and I find 3 Monitors to be better than 2 (Even with not quite matching Pixel Sizes - as who spans things anyway), as it means I can have a VM or a RDC into one of my Servers on 1 display, email, web browsing, chat clients on another, and what Im currently focussing on (be it video, audio, graphics or code) on my large middle display. If you are going this route, I would recommend a 2560*1600 display for the middle if you can, as having got used to 1440px high, I could still use the extra 160 and Im kicking myself for not going for it. (2 768px high VM/RDC/VNC sessionss would fit then)

5. pna macrumors 6502

dell u3011

I was concerned (as you are) about losing the vertical real estate, so I was focused on a display that would give at least 1200 vertical pixels as well. And I wanted non-glossy IPS display for photography, and had a similar budget as you do.

That led me to the Dell ultrasharp u3011. They often go on sale for relatively close to your price point (I've seen them new for about $1100 on dell's site with coupon). I ended up picking up a refurb from dell's site for about $850 or so. I couldn't be happier with it, and I've had no issues with it being a refurb at all.

It seemed like they'd show up on the web site ever week or two, but then usually sell out within the day. I'd just check once a day and then pulled the trigger when it was available. Highly recommended -- the monitor truly is as at the outer limit of the size of monitor I would use. Any bigger and it'd be totally overwhelming. This is coming from a guy that really, really likes monitor space...

Good luck.

6. EmbraceNext thread starter macrumors member

I really would like the Apple Display for many different reasons. However, the glare is something that I am not sure I could ever get past. I am seeing the Dell U2711 come up a lot.

My desk isn't setup to handle 3 monitors. The HP performance option looks interesting. I will take a look into that.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming. I don't mind taking my time to make sure I get the right monitors for me.

Thanks!
    Mark

7. will waters macrumors regular

apple

I will agree with another post

Go with 2 apple cinema displays, they are expensive, but if price is not a problem they are very good!!

8. EmbraceNext thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have no problem with the price, it is the glare. How do you take care of that issue?

9. FrankHahn, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011

FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I have two 27" Cinema Displays, one in the office and the other at home. The glare has caused no trouble to me at all! Truly, reflections can be seen in the displays at low brightness. But, if you do not pay much attention to them, they won't affect what you do. And turning the brightness up kills essentially the reflections. Note that the brightness is automatically adjusted.

On the other hand, all displays reflect. I can easily see reflections in my matte Samsung displays.

My suggestion: Go with Apple Displays, either the old Cinema Displays or the new Thunderbolt Displays.

10. EmbraceNext thread starter macrumors member

The thunderbolt displays intrigue me for sure. I was looking at them right before I got an email about this response. The thing I notice though is requirements say it has to be thunderbolt enabled computer. I will be buying these for my MacPro, so i am guessing I will have to go with the older display. I really think a new macpro is coming so if I think I may wait a bit longer and buy them all at once.

Does anyone think there will be an adapter to be able to plug these things into a dvi or other video connection?

Thanks for the constant feedback

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Do what I did. Apple has eliminated restocking fees, so try an ACD. If you don't like it, all you're out is time plus you get a first-hand look whether glare will be an issue for you or not.

I was a die hard Dell fan swore glare would be a dealbreaker for me, tried 1 ACD and poof, 3 days later selling my 3 Dell U2410s for 2 ACDs.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When I consider an external monitor, all I worry about is 1080 or better vertical because just about everything supports 1920x1080 these days. The reason is Blu Ray. Any Blu Ray player puts out 1920x1080 so even the cheap little monitors all of a sudden can do 1080p. It's an economy of scale issue. Everybody is making them so they are real cheap.

In fact I'd speculate you can get 1080 vertical cheaper than you can get 768 vertical. Psssst... Anybody in Cupertino reading this? All those sub $150 1080p monitors tend to Apple look sort of silly for not supporting 1080 vertical on even their lowest end MBA and MBP models. I looked into getting the 11 in MBA and the only down side I saw was that if I used a Mini Display Port to VGA adapter, I would lose Thunderbolt as the Thunderbolt port is also the Mini Display Port.

If I could afford the Apple display I would certainly consider it. Not only is it a great display, it is a docking station with mag safe for your MB, MBA or MBP and it has a number of ports including gigabit ethernet and firewire. If I ever get the 15 in MBP, I do believe I'll pay extra for the matte display though I might be able to skip the hi res option if I have a decent external monitor.

If cost is not a problem, perhaps 2 Apple Thunderbolt displays would work best. I don't know if there is a multi display option without both monitors being Thunderbolt. I know Apple sells a mini Display Port to multi DVI cable, but I think that's multi DVI to a single monitor not multiple monitors. Careful about grabbing two pricey non Thunderbolt monitors and expecting them both to work with a single Thunderbolt connector. I spent some time in a chat windows with an Apple person who clarified that the Thunderbolt port and Mini Display Port are one in the same and that there are limitations to what you can do. For instance, you can daisy chain Thunderbolt devices hence multiple monitors but you can't simply tack on a mini display port to VGA or DVI cable on the last device and expect the monitor to work. I don't know what this means for multiple monitors if you aren't using any Thunderbolt devices but I'd check first.

13. ebookstore4me, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011

ebookstore4me macrumors newbie

ebookstore4me

Yaa really nice You can go with 2 apple cinema displays :D :cool: