iPad What more can be done with the next iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BruiserBear, Apr 27, 2015.

1. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Besides fixing the vibrations from the speaker, and the screen being affected from finger pressure on the back, what more can really be done to make a better iPad this fall? It's starting to feel to me like you almost can't make it that much better. It can only get so thin before you don't have any space for a battery and screen.

I'm ready to replace my 4th gen iPad, but those two issues I mentioned with the iPad Air 2 are keeping me from pulling the trigger.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Those 2 aren't really issues imo ...cool it vibrates ? I don't notice it. Cool the screen has that LCD effect whenever you touch it kind of thing but I don't see it .....ever

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

The iPad is a MATURE product which is why you are seeing sales declines. Apple has run out of tricks besides a completely new from the ground up iOS. Even that may not be enough. We can probably expect faster, thinner and lighter until we are holding a hologram.

Since you mentioned vibration and the screen issue, i'd stay away and wait to see what the Air 3 offers. The sound vibration may not bother everyone but it sure annoyed the hell out of me and returned it for that reason.

4. omni macrumors 6502

The hardware is maturing but the software has not.

Apple tried the 'trick' of letting the App Store solve all of the software problems. For the iPhone this worked. But for the iPad it has not. Apple really needs to for iOS so that the iPad os is different.

The fact that silly stuff like folders behave the same way is ridiculous.

There is so much potential being left on the floor right now when it comes to the iPad.

Not to mention it really needs stylus support.

5. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Being able to have two apps open side by side and make the screen better for drawing (similar to a Wacom tablet). If it could work like a Cintiq, that would be amazing. Those are the first two things that come to mind. Require apps to support Touch ID with password managers would be nice, too. If I am logged into a password manager, I should not need to copy the username and password. The same footprint with a terabyte drive would be nice, too.

I would like the ability to make the icons smaller to fit more on the home screen without needing as many folders.

That being said, I love my Air 2. I have never seen the screen issue, but I haven't gone out of my way to figure out how to do it...nor would I want to. I rarely listen to the speakers unless I have it sitting on something, so the vibration is a non-issue for my normal use. Even when I do use it with the speakers playing, it is not a big deal, the Apple case absorbs a lot of it.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Agreed. The vibration issue was a monumental deal killer. They simply MUST deal with this or going forward I'll have to consider other tablets. I hope not. I expect my Air to stay in service for a while but eventually I'll have to replace it.

As for what they can do? Hard to say. More storage options? More connectivity options? Not really much. Beefier hardware?

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I just hope they do not make it even thinner!!!!:mad:

In fact they could increase the thickness a little for more battery and a proper speaker!:apple:

8. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

hmm, good question. I'm getting tired of my iPad2 too and I would love to replace it, but I can't find good reasons!

First of all the main input for the iPad are fingers.
    Fingers are ideal to move sliders, gliders and push buttons. writing text on an iPad is cumbersome as half the screen is filled with a non sensitive keyboard.
    If you want to take the iPad serious in a business context, every workflow should need it's own app designed if possible. You can't impossibly see an accountant use an iPad all day to replace its computer.

The iPad remains ideal for games, reading some websites, maybe mail and to lay it around the house. And for that my iPad2 still goes well.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But nothing has changed.

Apple has almost had not 1 single idea since the launch of the iPad1, and they are wondering why people are losing interest!

Hey dumb bums, why not offer something different?

Speakers - Still stuck at one end of the device pointing towards the person sitting next to you?

Screen aspect ratio - Why not make a 16:10 optional version for multimedia/gaming users, be nice to have a choice.

Camera - Let's make this as great as it should be, with a flash unit alongside it.

Size - Larger version, like there should of been from day 1

Why not fit a slot for a memory card of some sort to make it easy to transfer data between devices, I mean how tiny is a MicroSD card?

OS - Why not let is run a proper OS, or bring out a model that does, so people can start to really use it to be creative?

High quality pen/stylus input, why have a fat finger as the only official way to do fine drawing or handwriting input?

All they can do is tweake the chips and make it a bit thinner.
    That is pretty much the full extent of Apple's idea tank over the last 5 years.

It's embarrassing. they could have a whole range of iPad of many types to suit many different people.

10. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

We might see Force Touch.

It would be nice to get and OLED screen or Quantum Dot LCD. The screen quality is about more than resolution. HDR is coming to TV's, hopefully to iOS also.

The LinX multi-lens camera tech that Apple has bought could be a good addition.

Using recently announced screen tech based on Glasswing butterfly wings would be amazing. It is said to have almost no reflections, is water-repellent and self-cleaning.

There is lots of new battery tech on the way. Hopefully at least one type is ready for production.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Going to be hard trying to make the Air 2 better. Aside from more powerful SoC, don't know what more they can add.

12. PseudoPacifist macrumors newbie

For me to buy another iPad I would like to have much better multitasking functionality for iOS. As soon as I can run 2 apps side by side or minimize any app into the corner like how videos in the youtube app shrink down and continue to play at the bottom of the screen.

13. srshaw macrumors 6502

I am on an ipad 3 and will continue to be until they make the ipad bigger. I have faith. I held out with an iphone 4 until the 6/6+ came out, which was just what I was looking for.

14. keatth macrumors 6502

iPhone 6 design.
    Force Touch.
    More ram.
    Better processor.
    Taptic Engine.

15. addictzz macrumors 6502

It's already a very good machine. iPad Air 2 has been out for about 6 months and I still might buy it although the next one is coming in another 5-6mths.

I am willing to risk that the next one won't have a big improvements.

A8X with 2GB RAM and better display is enough to justify any upgrades.

16. BruiserBear thread starter macrumors 6502a

I finally pulled the trigger myself. Target is offering a $75 gift card with the purchase this week. I couldn't resist that.

I just don't see the new model this fall outdoing the Air 2 is any meaningful way.

17. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

Congrats, that is a good deal.

I wasn't looking to upgrade this year too, but in March, BestBuy discounted the cellular models to the cost of non-cellular and I stacked that with a 10% off coupon. I also got $100 from AT&T for signing a 2 year service agreement. I love the cellular feature and getting $100 back for something I was going to use anyway was a great deal.

These discounts combined with my selling price of my iPad 4, it didn't cost me very much to upgrade. It was well worth it.

Enjoy your new Air 2.

18. Osamede macrumors 6502

- bigger battery, feel free to take back 1-2 millimiters wasted in thinness wars
    - OLED screen
    - SD card slot
    - 12" size option
    - direct USB on and off
    - stylus
    - stopblocking 3rd party video apps from hardware deciding
    - mutip l e apps on screen
    - file system as an option with access for multipe apps

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Maybe you can buy either Sony thinnest Xperia tablet or Samsung Note S 10.1? :apple:

----------

Maybe sound vibration is good for deaf/hard of hearing people. :apple: