What mouse for new macbook pro touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maccotto, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Maccotto macrumors regular

I will receive the new macbook pro 15" next week and i looking for the accessories (sleeves, hub ecc...).
    I found all but not the mouse: What mouse can i pair or use with this new macbook pro with USB c?

I ask about a mouse without usb or i need use an adaptor everytime.
    thx

2. chabig macrumors 68040

What mouse did you use before? If you liked it then, keep using it. If you're willing to be a bit daring, quit using a mouse completely and stick with Apple's beautiful trackpad. That the best way to interact with a Mac. If you're unwilling to use the trackpad, I'd suggest a bluetooth mouse so you can be wireless.

3. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah a bt mouse will be a good choice.
    I won't use a trackpad because i will use the macbook pro' trackpad.

What mouse i need buy?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't use a mouse. I use the trackpad. You don't need a mouse either.

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

OK - I can't verify these since I don't have a nMBP, but since everybody else has helpfully told you that you don't need a mouse...

(a) I'd assume the Apple Magic Mouse will work - you'd need to get a USB-C to lightning cable if you wanted to charge it from the Mac, but otherwise it would connect via bluetooth. Personally, I'd rather chew my right hand off but mice are subjective.

(b) Also, presumably, the other favourite, the Logitech MX Master would work, again via bluetooth. In that case, you'd need a USB-C to MicroUSB to charge it from the Mac (which, unlike the Magic Mouse 2, you can do while continuing to use the mouse). That's a big, chunky ergonomic mouse (not for the left-handers).

6. thejoshhoward macrumors member

Boy do I love the MX Master. I love the trackpad, too. But I haven't found a better tool than the MX for doing work in design software or anything else where much precision is required. I appreciate all the extra assignable buttons on it as well. I feel like that makes me old school.

7. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

is it better than magic mouse 2?
    Is it good size for travel or i need a more small mouse?

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

It is much more comfortable for long periods of use. It also has multiple buttons that you can reassign if needed, and the main button setup has back and forward for web use. Plus you can charge it while using it.

It is a bit large for travel, but my hand cramps on the Magic Mouse and the tiny travel mice are not much better than just using the trackpad. The size is a feature for me. For basic use the trackpad is quite good, and you don't really need a tiny mouse.

For about the same price as the Magic Mouse you get much more in my opinion.

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

I think so, but mice are a personal thing.

Its a big, chunky mouse - certainly not the perfect "travel" mouse. I get by with the trackpad 'on the road' but if I'm going to set up shop somewhere for a while I'd take the mouse and put up with the bulk.

If you can possibly get to a store to try out various mice, do so, because both the Magic Mouse and the MX Master are a bit love it/hate it.

10. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

11. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The MX Master can be set up to cycle through your Photoshop edit history by using the back & forward buttons, for example. But if you don't need this kind of feature then any bluetooth mouse can work as they are more or less the same.

12. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Different strokes for different folk ... BUT one of the best things about a MacBook is the trackpad -- so smooth and easy to use with the various gestures. I hate when I have to use a Windows machine with a mouse feels like I'm back in 1996.

13. theluggage macrumors 68030

That does look more sensible for travel (and a bit cheaper) but, as I said, you really need to go into a shop and pick the type of mouse that feels most comfortable for you.

The MacBook trackpad is great... when they introduced the Unibody MacBook Pro it was the first laptop trackpad that made me happy to leave the mouse at home. I've got a magic trackpad, too and that's really great except... for some reason... it is sitting on the shelf and the MX Master is sitting on my desk being used...

14. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Why does everyone say "if you charge it from the mac" ? USB chargers are not rare or exotic, and frequently work better than wasting a port on charging.

15. theluggage macrumors 68030

Yes, that's why I said "if you wanted to charge it from the Mac". Also, I believe the Magic Mouse 2 can use USB for pairing.

Also, one of the compensations for the demise of Magsafe is that the Mac charger is now a USB (C) charger too so, with the right cables, you don't need to carry separate USB chargers for your phone/mouse/iPad unless you want to.

16. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

I received the three mouses but i don' t know what is reallygood for me.

1)the microsoft designer is little slow, with lag and only click/scroll butvery thin and nice.

2) the logitech m535 is a balance mouse with AA battery, scroll, left/right and a button.. My doubt is about laser precision: his laser is good as bluesystem of microsoft or logitech mx laser?

3) mx Master is great, comfortable, with a lot of button and very precision but big and need usb often (no battery aa/AAA).

Now the question: what do you think is better for me between Mx and m535?

17. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you are worried about batteries, then you could get the Marathon Mouse M705. Officially it lasts 3 years (without rechargeable batteries as they drain over time), and my friend managed to reach that. Plus it can run a bit on one battery if that’s all you have.

I average about a month on my MX Master which I find ok. How often do you need to charge?

For most surfaces the laser doesn't matter. There are special versions that work on glass tables and rough surfaces, but most people don't need it.

18. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Seriously? you buy an expensive state of the art laptop and you use a plug in mouse?

19. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Infact i looking for a BT mouse.
    The Cable mouse was an alternative idea because new mbp has only usb-c.

I don't use macbook pro every day also if i don't know if this mbp can replaced my desktop.

20. onponte41 macrumors newbie

I have the new MacBook pro and the trackpad is great for general activities but if I'm using Excel, a mouse is much quicker. Does anyone use Excel with the trackpad and find it as good as a mouse?

21. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

what mouse do you think is good for me?

22. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

How INCREDIBLY HELPFUL. o_O

I actually have this same question since I do a lot of my work in Photoshop (properly editing/cropping photos with a trackpad is not fun).

A good bluetooth mouse (NOT the "magic mouse," which sucks) will probably be your best bet though.

23. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

Guys i decided to take the MX , is very nice and with a lot of button to use.

I need only a thing to decide: Can i use it for scrollslides with lightroom or imovie or other?

I read that an user bought the Master and the anywhere 2 and he wrote thate Anywhere is best for go around.
    Another question is: how is the size of MX Anywhere 2?Can be a better choice ? (Mx master was 63€ vs anywhere 56€)

24. hwnstyle21 macrumors newbie

The MX Master looks like a great option. The thumb scroll will come in handy for my excel usage.