What mouse should I buy for my mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spierce7, Jan 26, 2010.

1. spierce7 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just got a macbook pro and switched over from PC to mac. I want a mouse that I can use with several buttons that I can use for expose features and what not, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I'd prefer bluetooth so I wouldn't have to use up a USB slot. I really don't know much about pairing different mice with Macs. I tried to get my Logitech G5 to work with my laptop, but I couldn't really take advantage of it's extra button since mac wouldn't really let me set it to anything (or maybe it will, but I didn't see it anywhere). So I was hoping for a mouse recommendation that has software support for mac that I can set extra buttons to shortcut to expose, etc. Thanks!

PS - I'm currently using the magic mouse with magicprefs, but it's not very comfortable. I was thinking about maybe the Logitech MX 1100 but I couldn't set the extra buttons to anything else could I? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

~Scott

2. mx12 macrumors newbie

Anyone will do

I agree with you on the magic mouse, it's all style and no comfort.

Ironically, I use several of Microsoft's mice, and they all work really well. If you want a mouse that you can use the expose, then look for one with extra buttons. I personally use a Microsoft's ergonomic keyboard and a logitec mouse for my home use.

3. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

How are you people holding the Magic Mouse? I find it extremely comfy. I rest my palm/arm on my desk and fingers on the actual mouse.

The Logitech Performance MX mouse is pretty nice I guess.. but kinda bulky.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Have you downloaded the Logitech drivers?

Your G5s buttons should be able to be set to do anything you want them to.

Everything for setup is in your System Prefs.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does the MX Rev have a bluetooth version? Mine has a dongle that takes up a USB slot. It's never made a difference to me, but it might for you. That being said it's a great mouse- very configurable. Ive had mine for three years and have no plans to replace it.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Sort of. They don't have a bluetooth version in the stand alone mouse. They did bundle it with a keyboard called the MX5500 keyboard/mouse combo, and it is bluetooth. I have this model on my Macbook Pro at work. The problem is that the LCC software doesn't recognize it as a Logitech product, so I can't customize the buttons. The LCC software will recognize the stand alone mouse, as I am using that at home. I kinda like the MX Revolution. :)

7. amitjain14 macrumors newbie

logitech set point

hi,
    all the buttons on the mouse will work one you install the logitech set point application/driver from logitech website, there is a version for mac. once installed u would be able to access and configure in system prefrences.

8. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

The logitech v550 is available in silver/black with the logo on it in metal, it is small, but very handy and also quite elegant, and accompanies the mbp (classic or unibody) very well.

I have it with the tiny micro usb dongle, as bluetooth mice are supposed to be likely confused by wlan /wifi networks I have been told. As I have three USB ports on the classic mpb, that is fine for me.

I like this mouse very much, it feels good and very solid, the batteries seem to last really really long. Full recommendation from me!

Oh, it was quite inexpensive, too.

EDIT: Sorry, I overread the wish for multiple buttons and for bluetooth.... still, the v550 is nice! and it has one extra button on top for window changes.

9. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

the logitech mx series are pretty nice but give your hand some time with the magic mouse, i love mine now [​IMG]

10. thomanjones macrumors regular

Regardless of mouse hardware, I'm a big fan of Steermouse for programming buttons and adjusting speed (I use it with Logitech and Razer mice), and BetterTouchTool (New Apple Magic Mouse). Also, I hear USBOverdrive is good. BTT is free, the other two have trial version, and retail for around 15$, if I remember correctly.

11. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

Logitech MX Revolution is a great mouse! I have three right now, and wouldn't hesitate to replace any the failed.

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

You should go scrounge some for replacement, since they discontinued the Revolution. Best Buy had them for $40 a couple of months back, right before they were discontinued. I bought two of them for home. The new MX Performance model looks similar, but I haven't tried it yet.