What music do you listen to at work?

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Recently it has been random stuff on my phone, from Mayday Parade to Framing Hanley.

alexmadison

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Johnstown, NY
Listening to music while you are working (or while at work in an office environment) can be tricky
I need to concentrate on what I am doing and not the music/lyrics

If I listen to my favorite music, it can get in the way so to speak, and I focus on the music and not work
Even with Pandora stations I find I have to skip some tracks on my favorite channels, which means I am listening and not working
I agree, I find I am more productive with "work music", If it helps you concentrate better then use headphones (better than office noise I think). I like using bluetooth so I don't get tangled in wires.

Headphones For Work

Mac52

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Depends on my mood. That's why I listen to www.raditaz.com they have over 14m songs to select from and you can see and listen to other users stations on the music map. It's pretty cool.

UlsterApple

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Northern Ireland
Not allowed to listen to music at work, which is a pity as it would drown out my female colleague whinging about how she can't raise any enthusiasm, she has no interest, she doesn't want to talk to people today, if she makes me coffee will I do her paperwork for her etc etc. Those headphones which drown out annoying background noise were designed with her in mind.

hanerika

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
well......
There are many people who like to listen to music while they work and I am certainly one of them. I find it helps me focus more on the task at hand.
and during work i like to listen songs.mostly i listen i m so lonely and baby baby.

Last edited:

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Not allowed to listen to music at work, which is a pity as it would drown out my female colleague whinging about how she can't raise any enthusiasm, she has no interest, she doesn't want to talk to people today, if she makes me coffee will I do her paperwork for her etc etc. Those headphones which drown out annoying background noise were designed with her in mind.
How come you can't have music on is it a company policy?

I normally listen to what ever is on my mac or iPhone. If the troops at have there heavy rock rubbish playing i put the ear buds in .

Anselshaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
I always listen classical music when i am at work. Classical music is the best music for me. I feel relaxation when i am listing classical music. Classical music is mostly useful in everywhere and classical music also very famous.I like to listen classical music.

Muso241

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Came across this at work today:

No lyrics to worry about, and the quality of the music this guy plays is incredibly soothing... perfect for the office environment (mine at least :rolleyes:) His talent is amazing, and his instrument is equally impressive. Definitely worth a look.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
^Of the five posts you've made, all of them include that video. Unless you mean rediscovered (which I doubt) you certainly didn't discover it today.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm always listening to music. As a student, I usually have to listen to straightforward not too distracting music. When I'm working on a project I'll usually go for more upbeat pop stuff.

I like to listen to whole albums. The songs usually fit with one another and I don't have to think to stop to change what's playing for a good 45min.

Favorites :

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. A lovely album, it seems I'm always finding something in there even though I'm at 60 listens since november (had the album since 2010 too but I recently got really into it). The lyrics aren't at the forefront and don't make much sense in a literal way so it's good while concentrating.

Daft Punk/Disney - Tron Soundtrack. Makes you feel damn epic. It's fairly concise as there are 2 or 3 musical movements that tend to come back through the album, and it flows nicely from one track to the next. Pop it in, next thing you know an hour passed. With a nice little break to jam on Derezzed mid-way through.

Cassius - The Rawkers EP. Fairly short but has good rhythm without being distracting.

I tried listening to Brian Eno's music for airport but it feels just way to musacky for me. I'll be giving Boards of Canada or Sigur Ros a try though I don't really like to listen to music for the strict purpose of concentrating if I wouldn't listen to otherwise.

You know what, I'm trying Debussy tonight, I'll tell you how that goes.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. A lovely album, it seems I'm always finding something in there even though I'm at 60 listens since november (had the album since 2010 too but I recently got really into it). The lyrics aren't at the forefront and don't make much sense in a literal way so it's good while concentrating.

Daft Punk/Disney - Tron Soundtrack. Makes you feel damn epic. It's fairly concise as there are 2 or 3 musical movements that tend to come back through the album, and it flows nicely from one track to the next. Pop it in, next thing you know an hour passed. With a nice little break to jam on Derezzed mid-way through.

I tried listening to Brian Eno's music for airport but it feels just way to musacky for me. I'll be giving Boards of Canada or Sigur Ros a try though I don't really like to listen to music for the strict purpose of concentrating if I wouldn't listen to otherwise.
Got to love the Phoenix. ;)

Like the TRON, too, but can't help thinking that Daft Punk didn't max out their potential there. Soundtrack turned out to be pretty much like a normal Hans Zimmer affair with a couple of bumping electronic songs. Maybe that's all it needed to be. Hmmm...

If you are looking for non-obtrusive stuff, maybe the electronic ambient artists I've gotten into lately fit the bill: Tim Hecker, Taylor Deupree, Loscil. Lots of good "People also bought" recommendations on iTunes, too.

bobbyjames

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Lowestoft, UK
I spend most of my work day listening Spotify with my ear plugs in trying to drown out the sound of Radio One that my colleagues listen to. I have all of my favourite songs and albums in various playlists, and I'm subscribed to a few other random playlists so I very rarely get stuck with what to listen to. I find myself working better when I'm listening to my own music rather than chit chatting about all sorts with other people. I'm easily distracted.

filpa

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
I always listen classical music when i am at work. Classical music is the best music for me. I feel relaxation when i am listing classical music. Classical music is mostly useful in everywhere and classical music also very famous.I like to listen classical music.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
I know this is going to sound backwards with everyone saying they listen to calm music and whatnot. but I love listening to bands like Of Mice & Men, Oh Sleeper, Sevendust, TesseracT, Rise to Remain and just general heavy stuff. I work nights, so it also helps with being relatively alert.

dawida

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Pandora mix of Classic Rock station, Jack Johnson, Kid Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with whatever the genome project throws in that's supposed to be similar...

Last edited: