Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Donavon Frankenreiter
Nouvelle Vague (they do covers)
Lemon Jelly
VHS or Beta

I like Coldplay, Jack Johnson, (but not James Blunt) and I still have to advise playing something not cool. I really don't know what type of place it is.......a trendy place where the clientele is younger? If not, then anything like the new Red Hot Chili Peppers or Dave Matthews will suffice.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
What kind of music? Probably the legal kind so he doesn't eventually get some heavy-handed Performing Rights Organisation involved.

Don't laugh, it almost happened to us a few years ago when I was in a different job. All rights reserved covers public performances.
Which is why Muzak (and similar services) have branched out into so many different music style options.

It's a bad word for elevator music, but if they have a program you like -- it might get you out of the hassle of dealing with the legal issues.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You might want to consider cover tracks. at least 2 shops I've been in have had cover songs playing, Co-op and WHSmith. Not to knock them, but they were kinda obvious. They are a lot cheaper though! which is a good thing is you're a new restaurant.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Yeah, be careful with the RIAA stuff. It's not as simple as it sounds to burn a CD to play in a restaurant, and don't be afraid to tell your brother no because of legal issues.

I'd suggest upbeat jazz for the restaurant.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
This might be too much work, but you could always solicit music from local, unsigned artists. We did this on a short film I worked on recently and it worked out very well. We got good, original music for free and the bands get exposure.

I don't know how the place is decorated, but you could also do something similar w/local artists.

I've always liked going to independent restaurants that display a sense of "community" (if you will).

Lethal

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
AJ Muni said:
Even if I own all the music i've mentioned? I knew i was going to have some sort of RIAA crap mentioned. It never fails. I guess all the bars/restaurants on the beach are going to get hefty bills as well. Anyways thanks for the advice.
You should be greatful that your fellow MacRumors members are watching your back to keep you from getting in legal trouble. Listen to what they have to say...

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
How about THE KOOKS.
Awesome band. Listen to *she moves in her own way*. Probably the best for the restaurant

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
AJ Muni said:
Well my cousin opened up a restaurant and he wants me to burn him some cd's so he can play. It's a hip looking place, more like art deco here in south beach. It's a small place, probably sits around 55 people max. Think about it as a regular sized starbucks. Its a bistro menu, but also serves as a fast food place, so if your on the go..the most you wait is 15 minutes. I'm confused on what music i should burn for him. I have dave matthews in mind, gorillaz, moby, red hot chili peppers (new double cd), and u2. Any other suggestions? Jazz maybe?
Django reinhardt
pink martini
paolo conte
chet baker
some rendition of "brazil" (django's is good)

you cant go wrong. ;)

(I saved two local restaurants this way)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
What, no suggestions for Slayer or Rage Against the Machine? :D

Lethal, good call on the local arts and music thing, I always like places that support local artists. It's amazing how many are willing to put their stuff up.

Maybe even see if you can get some local jazzy-type bands to perform on Friday nights or something.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Thievery Corporation and the like.

Just make sure you are legit, as many people far wiser than I have already pointed out.

nived

macrumors member
May 15, 2006
Dallas-ish
zelmo said:
Thievery Corporation and the like.

2nd. Awesome stuff.

Johnny, I saw Thievery Corp, Zero 7 and Massive Attack on your list and just had to look up all the others you listed that I haven't heard before... You've just added quite a bit to my music collection... thank you!

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
Really simple:

Thievery Corporation, all the way.

It's sleek, sophisticated, modern, and stays in the background.

No guitar music and nothing anyone could hate.

For variety, you can play the compilation CD "Jet Society".
I've heard it in lots of restaurants and bars, and it is smooth, jazzy and very modern and just perfect.

All the artists on the Jet Society compilation would also make good choices for a restaurant.

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Here's my 0.02c worth --- and I am sure I shall get flamed for it. Hey ho.

My suggestion, for personal preference, is NO MUSIC AT ALL - NONE! Peace and harmony is what is needed.

I go to a restaurant for food, not for music. I go for the food and, hopefully, pleasant chat with whoever I am with. And if a restaurant is playing anything, I always ask the manager to turn it off. And when he says that people like it, I ask him to conduct a poll to reinforce his statement. And when it is done, EVERYBODY asks that it is turned off. And when it does get turned off ---- total feng shui and calm. Brilliant.

If anybody wants musak and other aural pollution, sit in a lift, go to a supermarket or a club. But please, please not in a restaurant.

I am a sad ba$ta*d and I am sorry for a negative post. But somebody had to do it. :)

nived

macrumors member
May 15, 2006
Dallas-ish
UKnjb said:
My suggestion, for personal preference, is NO MUSIC AT ALL - NONE! Peace and harmony is what is needed.

I agree that the serenity factor is nice, but I have to have something to focus on other than the sound of everyone chewing after conversations have gone stale.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
UKnjb said:
Here's my 0.02c worth --- and I am sure I shall get flamed for it. Hey ho.

I go to a restaurant for food, not for music. I go for the food and, hopefully, pleasant chat with whoever I am with. And if a restaurant is playing anything, I always ask the manager to turn it off. And when he says that people like it, I ask him to conduct a poll to reinforce his statement. And when it is done, EVERYBODY asks that it is turned off. And when it does get turned off ---- total feng shui and calm. Brilliant.

If anybody wants musak and other aural pollution, sit in a lift, go to a supermarket or a club. But please, please not in a restaurant.

I am a sad ba$ta*d and I am sorry for a negative post. But somebody had to do it. :)
Oh god.

No music? Where would the mood be?
It doesn't have to be so loud that thats all you hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.