What navigation app do you use?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Acejam2k, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep my iPhone 4, or go back to my Nexus One. (30 days = this weekend) The iPhone 4 has been great - but I truly miss the Google Navigation on my N1. I can probably live without the tethering for now as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good navigation app on the iPhone 4? I'm willing to spend a couple of bucks, but I don't want to shell out $45. I'm looking for something just like the Google Nav, that features full turn-by-turn.

Thanks,
    Ace

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well if you're going to be cheap and only spend "a couple bucks" and not $45 then dont bother, enjoy that nexus one. If you want to not be el-cheapo, then spend the money and get NAVIGON, it's never done me wrong! Great TTS, Nice 3D MAPPING, quick reroute, nice destination warnings. Runs smooth on the iP4

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You can probably find something from a discussion here.

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I bought both Navigon and TomTom and ended up choosing TomTom for everyday use. Seems better at re-routing based on traffic. NAVIGON felt like it would give me a route and thats it, only changing arrival times. Maybe it was just me...

5. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Try MapQuest 4 Mobile, it is free.
    I prefer the TomTom app but Navigon is great too. (Either is worth it IMO)

6. ichiban06 macrumors regular

I'm using TomTom because the maps are more up to date .

7. parrothead001 macrumors newbie

Magellan Roadmate for me. It's tops in my book....

8. SooneratND macrumors regular

The default setting is to notify you on traffic, but wait for you to OK changing routes. There is a setting for automatically updating the route without your input though.

9. navajarunner macrumors regular

navajarunner

Assuming you're in the US, Co Pilot Live USA - $5. Is it the best? Not likely. But it gets me to where I need to be and that makes it just as good.

10. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm using Navigon. For $29.99, I could not have asked for a better App. I took a 150 mile trip with my family the other day, and Navigon got us there and back again with no wrong turns at all.

11. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

I'm using MotionX GPS Drive. It works great on iPhone 4. For only $0.99 it's good deal.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If you intend to stick with your iPhone for a couple of years, suck it up and buy a proper Nav app - either Navigon or TomTom. Honestly, they are worth the money over the free google nav - they are head and shoulders better. If I were to own an Android device, I'd gladly pay for one of these apps, were they available - they are that much better.

13. smeg36 macrumors regular

Another vote for CoPilot. It's only $5. I've used the TomTom app, and CoPilot works every bit as good for me.

14. craziplaya21 macrumors newbie

How can I change the reroute setting? I can't seem to find it anywhere

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

How are these apps better than Google navigation? I have no experience with these particular apps but I have a high end Garmin system and I find Google Navigation to be just as good. Google is definitely better when it comes to traffic info. Google voice instructions are better too. One thing Google does not have is lane assist.

16. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I have Navigon and I'm really pleased with it. The UI and how often they update the app amazes me. The latest version, 1.6 includes the latest NAVTEQ map for free. I don't know if Tom Tom offers free map update, but I don't like their subscription based traffic update. Navigon is a one time charge.

17. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I just found the graphics, voices, and UI to be very basic compared to the pay apps. I also found that on the Droid I've used, it takes much longer to get a gps lock.

19. rc51aaron macrumors member

Have tried Navigon and TomTom, Kept TomTom Deleted Navigon..

20. wreckshop macrumors 6502

Hell no its not better, and its not even close! The only advantage navigon has over google maps with navigation is that the maps are stored locally.

Google maps is deeply integrated into the operating system. You can launch it from a voice search by simply saying "navigate to ...." You can search something on the web and get directions and launch navigation from the web browser. You can even send directions from a laptop or desktop to a phone and launch the navigator automatically!

21. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I agre. Although I wish Apple would implement Google's Navigation service. It works so well on my Android phones! Meanwhile, my iPhone got me lost. Apparently it didn't know east from west >.>

22. chanerz macrumors 6502a