What New iPad Case You Get/Recommend?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I am looking for a case for my iPad that is not a hard snap on shell that is cool looking and sleek. The smart cover may be good, but it doesn't provide any back protection which is why I didn't get one. Has anyone bought any soft case/folio case for their new iPad?
Seeking recommendations based on what you plan to buy/looking at, thanks.

Last edited:

Djay1

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Not sure this fits your needs but I have found the Targus Slim Case to be nice looking, protective and yet not bulky. It protects all around. Readily avaiable at Best Buy for the latest iPad version.

noles200

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
The magnets for the smart cover don't work.
They do on mine. I have the one made specifically for the 3rd Gen iPad.

Also, I've seen people say magnets don't work on the smart cases by Apple. I tried the one my wife has on her iPad 2 and it works fine.

HeySamantha

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
I'll admit it.. I'm a girl and I like girly things. Typically, I got the white iPad which will be here by Friday but I'm looking all over for a purple and/or victorian pattern sleeve or cover. However, I'm having a really hard time finding what I'm looking for. Idea's?

I'll probably have to settle with something else, but it's worth a shot to ask. You guys seem to know lots of good case sites.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
I use an Apple smart case, and I keep the iPad in an Incase sleeve. When I'm transporting the iPad, it's fully protected. When I'm using the iPad, the back is exposed but I've never had an issue with scratches showing up in the aluminum back. It's a nice compact lightweight solution. Keeps the iPad looking its best. But of course this solution provides minimal protection against drops if you have it out of its sleeve. in my case I have Apple Care + to protect against damage.

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
I got the Marware C.E.O. Hybrid for iPad 2 Black from amazon. It fits, it was inexpensive, and it's a really well made case. The headphone jack doesn't seem to be perfectly aligned, and it's a little tight going on/off but I'm pretty happy with it. I've got a grove bamboo ipad case on order, for once they're ready.

Billnap

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I bought a Rock case. It has a Bluetooth keyboard, the ability to swivel the iPad into portrait or landscape mode, and a magnetic auto shutoff feature similar to the Apple case. The leather case seems more sturdily built than my Brookstone case, which after a year is in pretty shabby condition. The more I use this rock case, the more I like it.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
They do on mine. I have the one made specifically for the 3rd Gen iPad.

Also, I've seen people say magnets don't work on the smart cases by Apple. I tried the one my wife has on her iPad 2 and it works fine.
You may have lucked out. Many on Amazon and my sales at my local Best Buy say different. You are a lucky one.

noles200

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
You may have lucked out. Many on Amazon and my sales at my local Best Buy say different. You are a lucky one.
Purchased at Best Buy yesterday for the same price as a smart cover. I got the smart cover too and was going to try both out but I'm liking the Targus case right now.

Here's what I got: http://tinyurl.com/74ggxbs

EDIT: Sorry, here's the case I actually got. Noticed the one I posted was $60 as opposed to $40 at Best Buy. Also noticed the $60 case people said they were having problems but the one I got has good reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/7a3jvpj

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150779668239&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160#ht_3709wt_802

I got this item. Actually is one for $12.99 or 2 for $17.99.

I used same one for iPad 2 and loved it. It's super thin with enough protection and also smart cover just snaps on should I choose to use it.

My 21 month old uses the iPad 2 with the same case and zero damage. This is as thin as u can get while providing some protection. iPad has been dropped a few times on ceramic tile in my home and no damage. No low. Like 1-2 feet sinc my son is barely 35 inches tall!

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
I am loving my red Switcheasy Canvas! It's awesome and I can indeed fold into a position that works for typing, even tho it doesn't have the specific bend everyone is used to. My smart functionality works and it's beautiful. Highly recommend.

Also have the Maroo Moko that has yet to make it out of the box. Too in love with the Canvas at this point.