Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What new product category should Apple jump into?

• TV

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Camera / Digital Picture Frames

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Home Technology Products

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Wearable Technology (i.e. watches, glasses)

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Gaming Console

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Car Technology (i.e. car navigation system, media entertainment)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • others, post other suggestions below

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

vaio1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Steve Jobs had introduced:
iPod - mp3 players market
iPad - tablet PCs market
iPhone - smartphones market
Macbook Air - ultrabooks market
Macbook Pro - laptops market
iMac - desktops market
AppleTV - TV streaming add-on market

It's really hard to think of a new product category that Apple can still tap into and be a leader in the segment. What ideas do you guys have for Apple?

Last edited by a moderator:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I would like to be able to subscribe (for a fee) to whatever TV show I like regardless of whether its aired on a broadcast, cable or premium cable network on whatever device I like.

I'd also like to be able to order a movie for playback at the same time its released in theaters. All of this is quite possible now I realize, its a matter of getting content providers on board--quite a feat I know.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
The Apple TV isn't the TV market. All the Apple TV is, is a box that lets you stream stuff.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
The Apple TV isn't the TV market. All the Apple TV is, is a box that lets you stream stuff.

True. I wouldn't say Apple owns the market for streaming boxes either.

I'd like to see an Apple TV set. I'd like it to have individual channel subscriptions. I hope these kinds of agreements are what's holding it up & one day soon it will be ironed out & I'll have one in my living room

vaio1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Areas that Apple can easily dominate includes...

- printers
- alarm clocks/wall clocks
- car entertainment & navigation system
- compact cameras
- audio systems
- home security
- watches

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Areas that Apple can easily dominate includes...

- printers
- alarm clocks/wall clocks
- car entertainment & navigation system
- compact cameras
- audio systems
- home security
- watches

car and home audio would be sick!

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Apple would be much better at introducing their own car or car technology. I think they should be doing Futuristic home appliances. A new TV is part of that.

But if Apple comes out with iCar. (And I think they will.) I'LL be the first to own one! :D

I think TV is fine the way it is.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'd like to see something very futuristic, like an Apple version of Google's project glass. I believe that kind of wearable tech is the future.

TVs: meh, I guess it may be good, but I buy a TV every 7-10 years, not the one or two Apple will hope we all do.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Cook should not do any of the introducing himself. He just doesn't have the charisma and flair that you would want a CEO to have. He should continue to delegate the presentation duties.

The law of large numbers that people have been talking about is a "problem" for Apple. If they were a private company, who cares. They continue to print money and will do so for a long long time. But this is a publicly traded company, so its value is determined by shareholders. And shareholders hopefully wise up after awhile and realize that no company stays on top forever, and no company maintains straight vertical growth (exponential) forever, and when it starts to cool off, it's natural and inevitable no matter which company is on top. They should also realize that when Apple introduces a blockbuster Apple TV and sells like $10 billion dollars worth, that it is a big big deal. But the TV market is actually not as big as you might think, meaning even if Apple captured 75% of the TV market, their profits would not go up that much. It becomes harder and harder to move the needle as a company grows. So a $10 billion increase in revenue over a year would be a huge deal to most companies, but not Apple. Therein lies the dilemma: Apple's got to invent time travel and find sustainable nuclear fusion if they were to continue to grow. Even their next bonafide hit product will make a modest improvement to their earnings sheet, and that's all investors care about, nevermind the fact that their expectations are impossible to fulfill. But that's the nature of the game--investors are free to and will definitely move onto the next big thing. Rinse repeat in 10 years. I don't like a lot of the ways Apple does things, but their earnings sheet is very healthy. It's not a chink in their armor but rather them bumping up against the laws of math.

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Hopefully none, he is the most boring, uncharismatic and downright depressing on stage person I have ever had the displeasure to watch. I know Steve Jobs was a big person to follow, but watching Cook is like watching paint dry...

Reactions: blackberrycubed

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
[/COLOR]
Hopefully none, he is the most boring, uncharismatic and downright depressing on stage person I have ever had the displeasure to watch. I know Steve Jobs was a big person to follow, but watching Cook is like watching paint dry...

I like him though. I like his accent, his funny remarks. He really fits the bill.

What I don't like is the other guys.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Steve Jobs had introduced:

Of that list only the iPhone is revolutionary to me. iPod and iPad the devices already existed only Apple perfected them with bundled services so they became successful. And the desktop/Laptops they are just upscale (admittedly very nice) boxes.

If Apple doesn't revolutionize the TV experience as rumored, I'll be very disappointed.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think it's safe to say they will make launch a television sooner than later. I think a car stereo would be pretty great, but I don't see how they could do any better than the competition in that area (not saying they can't, I honestly just don't see how).

I'm all about a smartwatch, but more importantly, iOS needs to grow up a bit before I come back to the iPhone, so an Apple branded smartwatch wouldn't do me any good right now.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Phil Schiller is even a better presenter than Cook. Not every CEO has to be a showman like Jobs. They can get someone else to do these things.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yeah Cook should stay out of the presenting any products, just looking at him makes me want to run the other way. The other guys are not even close to Job's pizzaz.

I want IDEO's founder David Kelley, Job's pal. He reminds me of a cartoon character, and he obviously is a product guy, and he has that customer's sensitivity, he was on a 60 minutes recently. He's got that "Isn't this Cool?" excitement when he talks.

Last edited:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
1. Of that list only the iPhone is revolutionary to me. iPod and iPad the devices already existed only Apple perfected them with bundled services so they became successful.

2. And the desktop/Laptops they are just upscale (admittedly very nice) boxes.

1. Things similar to the iPhone existed before as well. Apple just perfected it. The original iPhone was pretty basic compared to today.

2. Apple invented a lot of modern computer designs. I.e. clamshell screen over keyboard laptops.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
1. Things similar to the iPhone existed before as well. Apple just perfected it.

Please specify make & model.

The original iPhone was pretty basic compared to today.

OP asked what NEW CATEGORY. So we are not talking incremental improvement. We are talking about a leap flock.

2. Apple invented a lot of modern computer designs. I.e. clamshell screen over keyboard laptops.

But not Earth shattering.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'd like to see more industry relationships being established for instance:

1) I think it would be cool if apple teamed up with a new auto manufacture the likes of Tesla and provide all the intelligence for the vehicle.
or
Manufactures open up more areas to sync with car oem systems i.e. app that controls my car alarm/ windows/locks. Provide engine diagnostics for trouble shooting and other various options SEAMLESSLY.

2) Cameras (itouch like device but with much more serious video/picture taking capabilities)
Much like what the ipod did for digital music.

3) apps that sync with local grocery store chains, Meaning I can log onto say Safeway/Vons/ or Trader Joes/ Wholefoods and see whats currently in stock and its physical location within the store (isle 2-B) and the current price etc.

4) It would be cool if Apple teamed up with a green prefab residential manufacture and builder to introduce the world to the reality of smart homes..

I dunno with the success and resources as well as the established image Apple holds currently, if I were apple I don't know how long I could be content with the world of laptops and hand heald idevices. The foundation is there now its time to dream bigger..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.