What new TVs are the best to use with Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guitarjc, Apr 8, 2009.

1. guitarjc macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I own a new generation MacBook, and want to link it up with a TV.

I am looking at 19" HDTVs at the moment, and my preference is LG, but I want to know if any particular models are more suited for this purpose.

I obviously want the best picture quality, so I assume HDMI would be the way to go. Any tips for leads/cables?

Also, is the output on the TV comparable in quality to the display I have now on the MacBook?

Thank you again for any advice or suggestions. :) :apple:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What next, which Hondas are best for hauling freight cross-country? Which high heel shoes work best on a construction site?

Get this. A TV is a TV. A 19-inch TV is even less of a TV. Just about every 19-inch HDTV will suck equally when pressed into service as a computer monitor. If you want a computer monitor, then buy a computer monitor. If you want a cheap computer monitor, then shop at Office Depot.

If you buy a TV, then understand that you own a TV. It might do a decent job with PowerPoint presentations. However, you will have a crappy substitute for a general-use computer monitor.

3. guitarjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well may I thank you unreservedly for your wholly otiose reply. Let's hope other forum users are less obtuse.

As far as your initial remarks go, I cannot see any relevance to cars or shoes. I must be missing something.

I am also very aware what a television is, thank you. Oh, and a computer monitor.

My initial post was to gauge information in order to achieve the best results from an admitably relatively limited range of equipment.

Thank you once again for your response. I am still at a loss to why you chose to respond in the first place.

John

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

whoa someone seeriously feels strongly about computer monitors and tv's.

anyway besides for that outburst.

the newer LCD HDTV's are pretty good - definitely go for the 1080p for higher detail as there is some truth in that post.

if you are looking at monitors under 20" you will find some of the same around the same prices for better quality.

5. guitarjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for some sensible advice, much appreciated.

John

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

There are no TVs that are "best to use with the Macbook". Just get the better TV you want and nowadays, you're sure to have a connection option of somekind with your Macbook.

7. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. I had a bad day but you just saved it.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Happy to help. You're welcome:D

9. happyprozak macrumors member

I believe samsung makes some lcds that are marketed as both monitors and hdtvs. The quality is pretty poor though. In that sense mister was right in his response. The larger hdtvs work pretty well as big monitors though. At 19 inches you can't expect much. It's like walking into a 99 cent store and asking them for their best tool set because you are going to build a new house.

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

depends on how you are going to use it

if only to watch video on(from a distance, i.e. media center), then get a tv.
    also if you plan to hook up your cable box, game console, and/or DVD player, this is also the obvious choice.

if to watch videos(from a distance), and use as a second monitor, then get a monitor.

11. MVApple macrumors 6502a

If you want to save up and buy a real nice monitor, there are monitors out there that have a ton of ports, from standard composite to component and hdmi. This means you can hook up all kinds of goodies to it. You can also get a USB tv antenna thingy to pickup OTA broadcasting.

This will do what you want it to do. Dell has one but it's criticized heavily for having a laggy response time for gaming. If you don't game then that monitor would be great for you, it's a 24" about $500 I think not sure.

Anyways, all the nicer monitors are way above the 19" range.