What newsgroup app do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djrobsd, Jun 15, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I have been using SABNZBD, it's an awesome daemon that runs in the background of the OS with a web front end. It seems to work great in Linux and Windows, but this is my first time using it on a Mac.

When I run the app, and it's unpacking files, it grinds my quad core i7 to a halt, and I can't figure out why, but I'm tired of trying to troubleshoot open source software that's not working right on my system, so I'm wondering..

What news group app do you use on your mac, and is it stable, reliable, and works in the background, still allowing you to go about your normal business?

2. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Try Unison, by Panic.
    http://www.panic.com/unison/
    Been using this for years, never really had any issues. Easily worth the $30, great developer.

3. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Sabnzb on 2 Mac laptops and a windows desktop. All C2Ds with no problems when unpacking. I came from grabit and other gui heavy windows clients so I fought sabnzb for a while but now I don't see myself switching to anything else. It's so flexible yet the web interface is simple and clean. I can get in and out quickly (especially remotely) and everything runs smoothly in the background. It's the perfect client for binary folks. Hope you can solve your problem somehow!

4. x-kid macrumors newbie

i'm using sabnzb on my i5 mac and haven't noticed any problems while unpacking. i find it's the best program due to it's flexiblility.

5. hexonxonx, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

hexonxonx macrumors 601

Can Unison handle .nzb files?

Edit: There doesn't seem to be a way to open .nzb files.

6. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

i only subscribe to one newsgroup but i use thunderbird for that (and only that.. i use mail.app for my email)
    http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

dunno, it's fairly easy to setup and it's been problem free for a couple of years..

that said, i'm not really sure what all your needs may be regarding newsgroups so maybe thunderbird can't handle it?

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I use binsearch.info to find what I am looking for. It gives me the chance to choose what to download and then creates a .nzb with the list of files. I then drag that into Super NZB and it downloads all the parts I selected for the .nzb and even unpacks them and uses the par files if any parts are missing or damaged.

8. Sir Lorad macrumors member

I'm using google reader directly on my web browser.

9. kalex macrumors 65816

I use sabnzbd+ on my mac pro and have used it for a while. Works great and no issues with unpacking. It does use most of my cores but it doesn't slow down the mac pro. And its pretty fast too. Usually unpacks 30 minute 720p episode in under 10 seconds

10. kalex macrumors 65816

wrong newsgroups :)

11. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Yes that's exactly what I use it for. NZB files open in Unison on my system, no sweat.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I recommend Unison also....and it works fine for .nzb files for me.

13. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

Depends how hard I'm looking or something. If I really need something specific I have a PC with Newsleecher (amazing program amazing search feature).

On the osx side either unison or mimo. Mimo is heavy beta right now.

- via iPhone

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's been two months since this thread was last active but since then, I have tried every app that people have recommended and I do like Unison.

One thing that bothers me about Unison is that the download speeds are two slow. If I have 8 connections or two connections, the speed per connection is only about 200-240Kbps. This takes allot of time to download a 2GB file.

Any way to speed this up? I don't see a way in preferences.

It's my my usenet provider either, I have two of them and both do not control speeds.